The overall purpose of the job
Wetlands International is a fast-growing global NGO with a reputable portfolio of work at the nexus of conservation and development. We inspire, mobilise and bring together communities on the ground with decisionmakers to safeguard and restore wetlands for people and nature. In 2020, Wetlands International will enter an accelerated phase of development, with our focus on building the influential coalitions and political will to scale up our work across regions. Harnessing the power of social media to raise awareness of the untapped potential of wetlands and help build a base of popular support will be vital to making this happen.
The Communications Officer – Social Media and Analytics is a core position in the global office Communications and Advocacy team delivering on this mission. They will hone our social media strategy, from understanding audiences and providing the insights to engage who we need to target to building relationships with champions and leaders across the international agendas of biodiversity, resilience, adaptation, mitigation, food and water security.
The ideal candidate will be adept at packaging the best soundbites, stats and visuals for a range of purposes on social media channels that give us the greatest visibility and share of voice on globally significant issues. They will be skilled at crafting compelling campaigns that amplify our policy work and help mobilise resources across programmes.
Responsibilities and tasks
The Communications Officer – Social Media will be responsible for leading our global strategy and functioning as well as managing communications for a number of specified projects.
- Global social media lead
- Overall management and running of corporate channels (Twitter, FB, LinkedIn, Instagram)
- Develop overarching social media strategy and scheduling plan
- Coordinating and scheduling content in line with projects, programmes
- Oversee social media content curation and quality including modes of working between thematic areas and between global and local offices
- Develop the social media content and advertising for global campaigns, events and activities
- Produce regular audience insights and social media trends that help keep us on top of our game
- Quarterly reporting
- Website Maintenance and Analytics
- Act as the overall website manager
- Coordinate website updates and refreshes
- Maintain corporate pages
- Update and maintain tagging and SEO
- Manage monthly data and analytics
- Manage supplier relationships
- Quarterly reporting
- Capacity building in the network
- Project communications
- Developing communications plans in close collaboration with the project team, advocacy leads and partners.
- Act as the communications focal point for project partnerships
- Develop informational and promotional written, visual and digital communications materials to support advocacy, fundraising, reporting and external relations management for various audiences.
INSIDE Wetlands International – Global Office and network offices:
CEO, COO, Programme Heads, Communications and Advocacy staff and other technical and operations staff; Heads of Offices and technical staff from network offices, Associate Experts.
OUTSIDE Wetlands International:
Communications officers of network offices; journalists, designers, writers, editors, press agencies, printers. Project partners and consultants, water, WASH, humanitarian and conservation organisations, private sector executives, other NGOs in the Netherlands and other countries, government officials.
- A social media whizz, with strong multi-media experience
- Creative and visual with an eye for data
- A solid track record in developing and implementing social media campaigns for environmental or humanitarian NGOs
- International in outlook, proactive and strategic
Essential education and experience
- Demonstrable track record of social media account management and campaigns
- Good understanding of digital data and interpreting analytics
- Minimum 3 years of relevant work experience
- Relevant degree e.g. international development, international relations, communications, geography or environmental science
- Knowledge of WordPress and Hootsuite essential
- Adobe Creative Suite knowledge highly desirable
- Able to work with and coach colleagues on social media
- Fluent level English speaker. Working proficiency in additional languages, especially French, Spanish and Dutch advantageous.
- Must be eligible to work in the Netherlands.
- Part-time job, 32 hours per week (It’s 36 hours per week for a full-time job in Wetlands International).
- Salary scale 9-10 of Wetlands International (Gross Euro 2.600 – Max. 3.500 based on a fulltime contract).
- Contract duration: One year.
- Reports to: Head of Communications and Advocacy
- Location: Global Office in Ede- Wageningen, The Netherlands.
- Start date: a.s.a.p.
How to apply
To apply for the post, please send a letter of application along with your CV/resume in English BY EMAIL ONLY, to Jozefa van der Veen at [email protected]
Please ensure that documents are sent with the titles “your name cover letter” and “your name CV” and state “Communications Officer” in the email subject line. Please let us know, in your covering email, where you found out about the post.
Deadline for applications: Sunday July 19th, 2020. Please note that interesting candidates can be approached before the closing date.