The mission of the Green Climate Fund (“GCF”, “Fund”) is to assist developing countries to respond to climate change while bringing prosperity to their peoples.
Established in 2010, the GCF invests in transformational climate projects in the developing world. The Fund makes an ambitious contribution to global climate action and channels significant financial resources into developing countries to help build low-emission and climate-resilient societies. It is country-driven and undertakes actions that reflect the circumstances of each country concerned and its national aspirations. The GCF is a key enabler of the 2015 Paris Agreement on Climate Change.
The GCF’s diverse workforce is advancing its mission from its headquarters in South Korea. Our talented staff makes unique contributions to the Fund, enriching the institution through their combined expertise and professional commitment.
The Adaptation Planning Specialist, reporting to the Coordinator of Support Programmes, is responsible for leading the technical review of adaptation planning proposals and ensuring effective knowledge management and communication in line with the programme’s relevance, evolution, and responsiveness to the countries’ needs and directions set up by the Secretariat and Board.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Leads the technical review process of adaptation planning proposals, in collaboration with other relevant teams and Divisions;
- Tailors approaches and advice for improving adaptation planning proposals that reflect organizational priorities, learnings, and knowledge during the review process, and responsiveness to countries’ needs;
- Provides timely feedback and guidance to country representatives and their delivery partners on accessing GCF support for adaptation planning and attending relevant technical events;
- Leads the adaptation planning review team and consultants, maintains an oversight of adaptation planning proposals under review and implementation, and produces progress updates and related documents for internal and external stakeholders and processes, including for the GCF Secretariat and Board, the UNFCCC process, and other relevant partners;
- Develops and executes measures to improve the overall efficiency and effectiveness of review, approval and timely start of implementation of adaptation planning proposals;
- Organizes adaptation planning related knowledge management resources and tools to strengthen the quality of the adaptation planning portfolio to build resilience in developing countries.
Required Experience and Qualifications*
- Masters or higher-level degree;
- Fluency in English, knowledge of Spanish and/or French as an advantage;
- More than 9 years of relevant experience in climate change adaptation planning and implementation;
- Experience in managing project design, project review, and delivery of technical assistance in or for developing countries is required.