Nature-based Solutions Coordinator for Living European Rivers Initiative
The World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) is committed to nature conservation around the world. We strive to protect the wonderful richness of animal and plant species on earth. Together with others we want to create a world in which people and nature live in harmony. Recently a large ‘Living European River’ initiative was set up together with other European WWF offices, with a specific working line on Nature-based Solutions that is growing fast, also considering the announcement of the European Green Deal, and post-Covid recovery plans. For this European Freshwater initiative we are looking for one.
Nature-based Solutions Coordinator (40 hours)
The NbS Coordinator reports to LER lead (WWF-NL) and works closely together with basin NBS coordinators.
The position could be hosted by the following WWF offices in the indicated cities: WWF CEE (Sofia, Bulgaria; Kiev, Ukraine; Bucharest, Romania; Budapest, Hungary; Bratislava, Slovakia), WWF Adria (Zagreb, Croatia; Belgrade, Serbia; Mostar, BiH), WWF Greece (Athens and Heraklion), or ANP (Lisbon, Portugal).
Tasks and responsibilities will vary in weight depending on needs:
- NbS strategy development and positioning
- Coordination of the work line and with WWF offices and partners, and implementation, translating NbS opportunities into NbS work packages for LER
- Fundraising: help LER get access to large funding opportunities, by developing project proposals and engaging potential donors, in coordination with WWF offices
- Advocacy: In coordination with WWF offices, provide support to influence policies. Take part in various platforms or networks to promote Nature-based Solutions
- Communications: Coordinate or prepare documents, reports, brochures on NBS when needed, and promote NbS when needed on different expert and public fora
Competencies and characteristics
- Passionate about rivers and nature conservation/ restoration
- Decisive, independent and able to set clear priorities; able to adapt strategies when the ever changing external situation requires flexibility.
- Strategic thinker – overseeing the relation between the short term goals and activities, related to the bigger picture and the long term focus, striving for the most impactful way to act
- Diplomatic – sensitive for cultural differences and knowing how to act in multi-stakeholder alliances (with NGO colleagues, politicians, policy makers, private sector actors)
- Networker, team player and enthusiastic bridge builder, able to build & maintain multi-stakeholder relations - mobilizing others to make the a difference
- Enterprising and creative – creating and recognizing new opportunities when and where they arise, daring to take calculated risks with the shared goal in mind.
- Stress resistant
- Structured, planned and organized
- Keeping an overview and acting result-oriented
- Availability to travel (always respecting national and international Covid travel limitations)
Education: Academic training, preferably related to water management. Good understanding of Nature-based Solutions.
Language: fluent English. Additional European languages are welcome.
Experience: minimum of 10 years of relevant work experience, preferably in nature conservation/ restoration, preferably in Europe.
What do we offer
The World Wide Fund for Nature is an enthusiastic, dynamic and versatile organization with an informal atmosphere. The salary is conform market and depends on knowledge and experience. The initial length of the contract is 2.5 years.
Information and procedure
Are you interested in this position and do you recognize yourself in the above profile? Then we invite you to notify your interest before July 13th 2020 by sending an e-mail with motivation and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org For more detailed information, please contact Eva Hernández (Living European Rivers initiative Lead – email@example.com)
The World Wide Fund for Nature is open and flexible with teleworking, considering the current Covid situation.