About the position
The Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering in the Faculty of Engineering, at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) announces the following vacant position in hydroinformatics.
We have a vacancy for an Associate Professor position in the field of hydroinformatics, specifically related to modelling and information systems for water management. The position will be connected to the water and wastewater group of the department.
This position relates to the University’s efforts to meet the society’s need for competence in digitalization and smart water systems. The water sector is undergoing a rapid transformation, where use of sensor technology, digitalization of processes and decision will change the needs of the sector. The position should contribute improved knowledge and better solutions for handling of large amounts of information, operation and management of the water systems, and smart water installations.
We are looking for a motivated candidate who has relevant teaching experience, a proven scientific track record and management experience from research projects related to water and wastewater systems
The position will report to the head of department.
Duties of the position
- Teaching hydroinformatics for water and wastewater for bachelor and master level classes.
- Student supervision (bachelor, master, and PhD).
- Develop and lead research projects to strengthen the water hydroinformatics competence in the group.
- Contribute to the overall research goals of the water and wastewater group through larger proposals and strategic project development.
- Collaboration with industry and end users to develop research projects with high societal relevance and scientific quality.
Required selection criteria
The position of Associate Professor requires that you meet the criteria in the Regulations concerning appointment and promotion to teaching and research posts section 1-4.
- Your PhD, or academic work of the same scope and quality, must be within urban water systems with a focus on modelling and information systems for water management (or equivalent).
- Good knowledge of hydroinformatics of drinking water distribution systems in relation to application of smart sensor technology.
- Good knowledge of numerical simulation processes applied to the urban water sector.
- Knowledge of design principles of smart water management systems.
- Knowledge and relevant project experience with modelling of urban water systems (drinking water and wastewater systems).
- Good written and oral English language skills
You must document relevant basic competence for teaching and supervision at university/higher education-level, ref. Regulations. If this cannot be documented, you are required to complete an approved course in university teaching within two years of commencement. NTNU offers qualifying courses.
It is a prerequisite that within three years of appointment, new employees who do not speak a Scandinavian language can demonstrate skills in Norwegian or another Scandinavian language equivalent to level three in the course for Norwegian for speakers of other languages at the Department of Language and Literature at NTNU.
Preferred selection criteria
- Applicants with teaching experience from higher education will be preferred
Scandinavian language skills
- Applicants with teaching experience at university level will be preferred
- Highly motivated for career in research and education
- Good collaborative and communicative skills
- Motivation to work in interdisciplinary teams
Salary and conditions
In a position as Associate Professor (code 1011) you will normally be remunerated from gross NOK 524 200 to NOK 893 900 per year, depending on qualifications and seniority. From the salary, 2% is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criteria in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU. After the appointment, you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
It is a prerequisite that you can be present at and accessible to the institution daily.
About the application
The application and supporting documentation must be in English.
Please note that applications are only evaluated based on the information available on the application deadline. You should ensure that your application shows clearly how your skills and experience meet the criteria which are set out above.
If, for any reason, you have taken a career break or have had an atypical career and wish to disclose this in your application, the selection committee will take this into account, recognizing that the quantity of your research may be reduced as a result.
The application must include:
- CV, certificates and diplomas
- Academic works – published or unpublished – that you would like to be considered in the assessment (up to 10 works)
- A description of the academic/artistic works that you regard as most relevant and that you particularly want to be considered in the assessment
- Name and address of three referees
- Research plan
- Details of teaching qualifications based on “Documentation of applicant’s teaching qualifications in connection with appointment to an academic position at NTNU”
- Details of the projects you have managed, with information about funding, duration and size
Joint works will be considered. If it is difficult to identify your contribution to joint works, you must attach a brief description of your participation.
In the assessment of the best-qualified applicant, we will emphasize education, experience and personal suitability as well as your motivation for the position. You will be expected to deliver high-quality teaching at undergraduate and postgraduate levels, and undertake supervision of Masters and Doctoral candidates. Evaluation of these skills will be based on documented experience and relevant teaching qualifications. Applicants with teaching experience at university level are preferred. Quality and breadth of the teaching qualifications will be evaluated.
NTNU is committed to following evaluation criteria for research quality according to The San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment – DORA. This means that we pay special attention to the quality and professional breadth of these works. We also consider experience from research management and participation in research projects. We place great emphasis on your scientific work from the last five years.
Your application will be considered by an expert committee and the most suitable applicants will be invited to interview and to deliver a lecture.
A good working environment is characterized by diversity. We encourage qualified candidates to apply, regardless of their gender, functional capacity or cultural background. NTNU wishes to increase the proportion of women in its academic positions, and women are therefore encouraged to apply.
The city of Trondheim is a modern European city with a rich cultural scene. Trondheim is the innovation capital of Norway with a population of 200,000. The Norwegian welfare state, including healthcare, schools, kindergartens and overall equality, is probably the best of its kind in the world. Professional subsidized day-care for children is easily available. Furthermore, Trondheim offers great opportunities for education (including international schools) and possibilities to enjoy nature, culture and family life and has low crime rates and clean air quality.
As an employee at NTNU, you must at all times adhere to the changes that the development in the subject entails and the organizational changes that are adopted.
Under the Freedom of Information Act (offentleglova), your name, age, position and municipality may be made public even if you have requested not to have your name entered on the list of applicants.
If you have any questions about the position, please contact Professor Tone Muthanna, telephone +47 95 18 68 17, email [email protected] If you have any questions about the recruitment process, please contact Tone Måsøval Arntzen, e-mail: [email protected]
Please submit your application and supporting documentation via jobbnorge.no. If you are invited for interview, you must bring certified copies of certificates and diplomas. Mark the application with reference number: IV-137/20.
Application deadline: 03.07.2020