NRC’s Horn of Africa operation comprises of large-scale multi-country humanitarian and early recovery interventions spread across nine countries (Kenya, Somalia, Ethiopia, Djibouti, Yemen, Eritrea, Uganda, South Sudan and Tanzania). NRC’s overall strategy in the region is to ensure a greater number of vulnerable people in hard to reach areas get access to humanitarian assistance, become resilient to future disasters and find durable solution. The regional office is based in Nairobi and works with country programmes to ensure standardisation of programmatic and operational approaches, promote multi country programming and ensuring quality and coordination.
The purpose of the WASH Core Competence Project Manager position is to implement delegated WASH project portfolio.
The same advertisement can be used to fill any vacant position in the countries listed under the region.
- Line management for project staff
- Adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures
- Contribute to the development of Country, Area and WASH strategies, initiate and participate in the development of relevant WASH projects
- Coordinate and manage WASH project implementation (activities, budget and project documentation) in line with proposals, strategies and donor requirements
- Implement technical direction and ensure high technical quality of projects
- Provide regular progress reports to the Area Manager and the WASH Specialist
- Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need of protection, explore and asses new and better ways to assist
- Develop and manage project budget (in cooperation with Cs) and coordinate across CCs
- Ensure capacity building of project staff and transfer key skills
- Liaise and collaborate with relevant local authorities and other key stakeholders
- Promote the rights of IDPs/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy
- Minimum 3 years of experience from a senior level project implementation position in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Technical WASH expertise
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
- Valid driver’s license
- Geology / Geophysics
- Engineering sciences & technology
- College / University, Bachelor’s degree
- Managing resources to optimize results
- Managing performance and development
- Empowering and building trust
- Handling insecure environments
- Duty station: Non Family Duty in any of the 9 Countries listed above.
- Contract period: 12 Months with possibility of extension
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions, The candidate will observe NRC’s code of conduct and working hours for the NRC specific Country
- Travel: Some travelling must be expected