The Land and Water Division aims at enhancing agricultural productivity and advancing the sustainable use of land and water resources through improved management, development and conservation of natural resources. It addresses the challenges member countries face in ensuring productive and efficient use of land and water resources in order to meet present and future needs for agricultural products, and ensuring the long-term sustainability of these resources in both quantity and quality terms. It promotes the equitable access to these natural resources with a view to enhancing productivity, supporting livelihoods and resilience, and providing ecosystem services. The Division provides assistance to member countries in developing policies, programmes, best practices and tools in the fields of irrigation and drainage, soil and water conservation, drought mitigation, flood prevention, water governance, natural resource access, improvement of markets, and supports the overall achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
The Land and Water Officer reports to the Senior Land and Water Officer, under the overall guidance of the Director and the Deputy Director of the Land and Water Division. S/he will work/coordinate closely with members of the water teams
The incumbent will support the implementation of integrated water resources management (IWRM) with understanding of water data, climate variables, irrigation, drainage, hydrogeology and water resource assessment with particular emphasis on water resources monitoring and drought management
Collection and analysis of information, data and statistics and project / meeting services to support programme projects, products and services.
• Collects and analyzes relevant technical, social, economic, environmental, institutional and technology related information, data and/or statistics to support the delivery of programme projects, products and services;
• Undertakes analysis, provides technical input for plans and reports and edits/revises technical/scientific documents;
• Participates in the development of improved work methods, tools and systems;
• Updates databases and web pages;
• Participates on multi-disciplinary project/work teams;
• Collaborates in the development of training tools and materials and the organization of workshops/seminars etc.;
• Participates in the organization, conduct and follow-up of meetings, consultations and conferences, the development/production of required materials and the provision of information and assistance to partners.
• Provides technical support for the formulation and implementation of sustainable agriculture projects and initiatives with water management components, including the analysis of natural resources management (land, water, soil, biodiversity), reduction of environmental and socioeconomic impacts of human consumption and production activities and improving access to natural resources for the rural poor;
• Provides technical support in integrated water resources management; including irrigation and participatory approaches, focused on nature-based solutions and sustainable agriculture;
• Supports the integration of science/policy interface on drought and flood indicators and triggers, impacts, and the use of drought/flood information, with adaptation and resilience efforts to reduce vulnerability and mitigate impacts;
• Contributes to FAO’s drought and flood preparedness and mitigation activities to support member countries’ resilience in agriculture and food security, watershed management and ecosystem restoration, including targeted responses for the most vulnerable in the rural areas;
• Supports monitoring performance of activities and collection of data and best practices for contribution to global knowledge products;
• provides technical support to the preparation of communication materials for the dissemination of results and achievements in the related areas;
• Performs any other duty on her/his area of expertise, as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Advanced university degree in water resources, hydrology, geomatics, remote sensing, agriculture or civil engineering, hydrology, environmental sciences, or other related disciplines
• Three years of relevant experience in irrigation, drainage, dams, natural resources, drought and flood management, hazard mitigation, climate extremes, and public policy related activities
• Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of another FAO official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish)
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable
• Extent and relevance of experience in analytical and modelling techniques and related software;
• Extent and relevance of experience in developing effective collaboration across units, regional offices; organizations, countries, partners, etc.
• Extent and relevance of experience in project formulation, operation, monitoring and reporting, and ability to develop project proposals in the field of irrigation, drainage, dams, natural resources, drought and flood management, hazard mitigation, climate extremes, and public policy related activities