It's hard to believe that today 844 million people do not have clean water and 2.3 billion do not have a decent toilet - around one in three of the world's population. Every two minutes a child under five dies from diarrheal diseases caused by poor water and sanitation.
Are you experienced with strong strategic business development and organisational skills? Can you communicate with impact and develop influential strategies to drive change effectively? WaterAid Madagascar is recruiting for an inspiring and passionate Country Director to play a vital role in our mission to make clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene normal for everyone, everywhere by 2030.
Working closely and reporting into the Regional Director, you will be responsible for providing overall strategic programme, financial and people leadership and management for the country programme. Some of your key responsibilities include:
- Contributing to the regional, Pan Africa and global leadership of WaterAid.
- Providing visionary and strategic leadership to the country team promoting a management culture that is empowering and collaborative.
- Build, lead and manage high performing and diverse teams by creating an environment that enables staff to maximise their full potential and facilitates high performance.
To be successful, you'll need to have:
- Extensive proven experience of working at a senior level with strategic leadership, people management and financial accountabilities.
- Consultative and empowering management style, able to take difficult decisions and ability to work within an organisational framework in the spirit of mutual trust and respect.
- Fully committed to WaterAid's vision, mission and values and a way of working that demonstrates this, with the ability to communicate this enthusiasm to others.
Please note that the role will require travel in-country, as well as trips across the region and internationally.
We started because no NGO like us existed. We'll end when no organisation like us is needed. In the meantime, we're making great progress - since 1981, we have reached 25 million people with clean water and, since 2004, 24 million people with sanitation.
We're looking for people who share a commitment to our vision. We're looking for people with an appreciation and respect for different people and ideas, and the energy and expertise to help tackle the most important challenges.
In return, you can expect to get inspiration from the change you help make happen, a sense of belonging and the feeling of being part of a global community. You will also experience stimulation and fulfilment, the chance to grow, and space to be yourself at your best. This is our pledge to you.
Click on 'Apply' to download the job description.
If you are interested in the position and have the right skills and attributes, please send your application consisting of a letter of interest and a CV to using 'Country Director - Madagascar' as the subject of the email.
Please note: to apply for this role you must be able to demonstrate your eligibility to work in Madagascar.
WaterAid is committed to ensuring that wherever we work in the world there is no tolerance for the abuse of power, privilege or trust. WaterAid reinforces a culture of zero tolerance towards any form of inappropriate behaviour, abuse, harassment, or exploitation of any kind. The safeguarding of our beneficiaries, staff, volunteers and anyone working on our behalf, is our top priority, and we take our responsibilities extremely seriously. All staff and volunteers are required to share in this commitment through our Global Code of Conduct. We will conduct the most appropriate pre-employment references and checks to ensure high standards are maintained.
WaterAid is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity. We particularly encourage applications from women who are underrepresented at this level in the organisation.
Only candidates shortlisted for interview will be contacted within two weeks of the closing date for applications.