Who are we?
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfillment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
DRC has been operating in the Middle East (ME) region for over a decade, running a combination of emergency, livelihood, protection and advocacy programmes through Country Offices (COs) in Yemen, Syria, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon and Turkey with a Regional Office (RO) in Amman.
DRC Yemen’s response
Throughout its nine field offices and a workforce of 450 staff, DRC upholds its main programmatic objectives to provide immediate and life sustaining assistance, to strengthen the protective environment, and to reduce displacement related risks and vulnerabilities by promoting self-reliance at household and community level.
About the job
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) has been providing relief services at worldwide since 1956, and working in Yemen since 2008 responding to the protection, WASH and Livelihoods needs of IDPs, migrants, children and local communities in collaboration with key national and international agencies. The Hygiene Promotion Officer is a critical position to provide hygiene/cholera response.
Geographic scope: Country (Yemen)
DRC Yemen is seeking an experienced Hygiene Promotion Officer at Amanat Al-Asimah to design and supervise civil works relater to WASH/cholera interventions. It is a key DRC position, with DRC expecting that the post holder with be qualified and possess Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) skills, knowledge and attitude to be immediately effective in the field. These include the active involvement and the full participation by all authorities and community leaders/members. The Hygiene Promotion Officer will report directly to the Cholera Project Manager for cholera activities and to WASH Manager in north for SDC/Dutch activities.
- Work with the Cholera Project Team Leader and WASH Specialist to develop innovative solutions to improve water, sanitation, and hygiene conditions in the targeted areas, especially in cholera outbreak.
- Work with the Cholera Project Team Leader, local authorities and WASH cluster to select high-risk communities/areas within DRC areas of intervention.
- Assist in the implementation of WASH/cholera assessments/surveys and other data collection activities.
- Adapt hygiene education training package for Emergency Cholera Team, and also for CMs/CHVs in the targeted governorates.
- Identifying and addressing field staff capacity building opportunities and provide technical support.
- Design a work plan for hygiene/cholera activities and supervise implementation at community level in the targeted governorates.
- In coordination with WASH Specialist and the HP TWiG, design a harmonized hygiene promotion manual for Yemen context including cholera and other water-borne diseases, IEC materials and training guide.
- Insure community engagement, mobilization and involvement in hygiene behaviour change in the targeted governorates.
- Document lessons learned from hygiene/cholera activities and write success stories.
- Capacity to develop the Information, Education and Communication (IEC) materials for WASH and related WASH/cholera topics.
- Provide regular reports and attend internal meetings.
- Undertake other duties as required.
Required experience and competencies
- All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring efficient processes.
- Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
- Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
- University degree in public health of other related area.
- At least 2-years experience in relevant works.
- Solid skills in Microsoft applications (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
University degree in public health of other related area.
Languages: (indicate fluency level)
- Excellent English language (written and spoken).
- Excellent report writing skills.
- Fluency in Arabic language (written and spoken).
Key stakeholders: (internal and external)
- DRC different sectors;
- WASH Cluster and its partners;
- Local authorities and community leaders;
Contract length: Till 31, October 2020 with possiblity of extension based on performance and fund.
Work place: Sana’a
Start date: 15th July 2020
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates; please refer to www.drc.ngo under Vacancies. This position will be placed at level (NMH2)
DRC as an employer
By working in DRC, you will be joining a global workforce of around 8000 employees in 40 countries. We pride ourselves on our:
- Professionalism, impact & expertise
- Humanitarian approach & the work we do
- Purpose, meaningfulness & own contribution
- Culture, values & strong leadership
- Fair compensation & continuous development