The MSA Group: Senior Environmental Consultant
The MSA Group Environmental Department seeks a dynamic senior-level environmental consultant with a strong consulting background and experience in environmental management (specifically mine closure and water management) within, but not limited to the mining sector.
The minimum qualifications are 7 years of experience in consulting type work, project management experience and technical knowledge relating to mine closure, water management, enviro-legal authorisations and due diligence processes. Operational experience is preferred but not essential. The ability to engage effectively with clients and deliver high quality reports and outcomes is essential.
The senior environmental consultant would serve with other environmental staff and departments within The MSA Group. With a consulting reach into Africa and India the candidate must be able to travel. The position would be located in the MSA Group offices in Johannesburg.
· Manage projects from cradle to grave, including budget management, with a professional project management approach.
o Compile proposals for simple to medium complexity projects.
o Active liaison with clients to culture relationships and encourage ongoing work.
· Clear and accurate report writing, evaluation of reports and verification of data and input received from specialists.
· Able to provide accurate and professional technical advice internally and externally.
· Sound knowledge in environmental legislation including mineral tenure and process understanding – not limited to South African Legislation.
· Extensive knowledge on Water Use License Applications and the generation of supporting documentation required including, but not limited to water balances, monitoring and Integrated Waste and Water Management Plans.
· Extensive knowledge on mine rehabilitation and closure planning (Financial evaluations, assessments, plans & risks).
· Contribute to and where required manage EIA’s and EMP's through the full process as well as assist with Prospecting and Mining Right/Permit Applications.
· Internal systems (MSA Way) expert and a diligent applier, improver and facilitator of these systems / processes.
· Assist clients with Environmental Strategic Development – risks & optimal mitigating measures.
· Be able to conduct environmental audits, inspections and reviews.
· Experienced in Due Diligence processes and be able to materially contribute/participate.
· Have an understanding and experience base in the Mining and the Oil and Gas sectors (is an advantage).
· Working knowledge of Equator Principals, World Bank standards, International Finance requirements (IFC), ISO14001management systems.
· GIS understanding and basic operation and application.
· Knowledge of and how to conduct community consultations and liaise with government.
· Strong ethical position regarding conflicts of interest.
· Provide input with regards to strategic planning initiatives – environmental and companywide.
· 7+ years of environmental consulting experience
· Must be a registered professional (SACNASP or other)
· Post graduate degree in Environmental Sciences/Ecology/Earth Science/Water or similar required
· Additional studies in Business Finance/Administration/International Finance requirements additionally preferred.
· EAP (Environmental Assessment Practitioner), ISO 14001 capability strongly preferred,
· Work experience: Within an environmental consulting firm a must
· Demonstrable thought leadership and understanding of environmental consulting topics, including:
o Land use planning, development, rehabilitation and mine closure
o Water resource management, conservation and utilization
o Waste management and pollution control
o Mining environmental management
o Health and Safety environmental factors
o Environmental Risk Assessment & Environmental Impact Assessments (EIA),
o Environmental Management systems i.e. ISO 14001
· Strong analytical problem-solving skills and experience, ideally gained in the consulting sector although other sectors could be relevant.
· Experience in leading multiple projects from inception to completion with high quality of delivery in a complex and challenging environment.
· Smart, collaborative, relationship and outcome focused with the ability to make decisions where ambiguity exists.
· Ability to demonstrate sound judgment in the prioritization of competing work assignments, escalation of issues and the formulation of solutions.
· Effective organization skills with attention to detail and delivery of high-quality documentation with the ability to implement/influence change.
· Strong sense of business ethics and principles.
· Excellent English language skills, both verbal and written with the ability to communicate technical matters to a non-technical audience.
· Occasional travel required.
Applications will close on the 30th of June 2020 and successful interview candidates will be informed within 2 weeks of this date.