Internship (WASH Financing Knowledge Management)
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, an Equitable Chance in Life …
The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) is a leading humanitarian and development agency working globally for the rights of every child. UNICEF’s overall objective in water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) is to contribute to the realization of children’s rights to survival, growth and development through support to programmes that increase equitable and sustainable use of safe drinking water, basic sanitation, and promote improved hygiene.
How can you make a difference?
The objective is to support the WASH Section – Results and Resources unit and Innovative Finance Unit to consolidate all UNICEF WASH financing related documents to create a one-stop shop (SharePoint site) for WASH financing knowledge dissemination, communication and advocacy in line with UNICEF ongoing Enterprise Content Management transition. The intern is supported to gain knowledge and practical skills in the area and UNICEF WASH programme.
You will be supporting the following tasks:
- Familiarize with UNICEF work on WASH financing and key reference documents from sector partners.
- Support development of synthesized country / regional and global WASH Financing initiatives into short summaries (or profiles) including reader friendly visual profiles.
- Prepare infographics and other graphic materials as needed.
- Support scoping the landscape of partner initiatives on WASH Financing.
- Support the update of the WASH Financing page on the communication site.
- Support the set-up and facilitation of the WASH Financing collaboration site.
- Collaborates with the knowledge management team and support on ongoing initiatives.
Benefits to intern:
The UNICEF Internship Programme offers eligible/qualified students at both Headquarters and country offices the opportunity to acquire direct practical experience in UNICEF's work under the direct supervision of experienced UNICEF staff. This internship is for the purpose of acquiring organizational knowledge of rules, regulations and processes to supplement academic and theoretical knowledge.
Location: The internship will be done remotely. It is not expected that the intern will travel during the assignment period.
Duration: This will be a full-time internship and the duration will be for 3 months.
Salary/Payment: Monthly Stipend of $1,700
UNICEF will not be responsible for costs arising from accidents and/or illness incurred during the intern’s service, whether on or off UNICEF premises. Therefore, the selected candidate must provide proof of enrolment in a health/accident plan prior to start his/her work. If accepted, the intern will be required to provide a copy of health insurance coverage in the country of residence and to fill out the relevant UNICEF forms on conditions regarding service as an intern.
Living Conditions and Working Environment:
The intern will work with hiring section and report to the supervisors of this internship. The internship is expected to be remote based. The intern is not expected to travel during the assignment. The intern will be expected to participate in Section's meetings, as well as other UNICEF meetings of interest to the student, including the seminar series for UNICEF interns. Guidance will be provided on a regular basis.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have...
- Be in enrolled in a Bachelor or Advanced Degrees Program in Economics, Finance, Public Policy, Public Health, or related fields.
- Experience with project finance, Public Private Partnership, SME finance, micro finance and WASH Sector financing issues is an asset.
- Excellent communication, content management and writing skills.
- Familiarity and comfort with Microsoft packages and SharePoint.
- Given that the position is remote-based, candidates based in programme countries are encouraged to apply.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish) or a local language is an asset.
- Letter of verification from the college or university that the intern is currently enrolled in an undergraduate school and has completed at least two years of full-time studies at a university or equivalent institution towards the completion of an undergraduate degree (if the candidate is 18 years old, this replaces the two-year bachelor’s completion requirement); or, Graduate Degree Program (i.e., Master’s, PhD). It should also state the expected graduation date. Recent graduates are allowed until 2 years after degree completion.
- Copy of their most recent official transcript showing excellent academic performance
- Copy of Identification Card (ID)
- One letter of signed recommendation on letterhead or from professional email address.
Please indicate your availability (% of time available) to undertake the terms of reference above.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s core values of Care, Respective, Integrity, Trust and Accountability.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.