Description of Position
ECODIT is seeking a Communications Component Leader to assume management and writing and editing roles for the United States Agency for International Development’s (USAID) Water Communications and Knowledge Management (CKM) Project, which supports the work of the Agency’s Bureau for Economic Growth, Education and Environment Water Office (E3/W) to implement knowledge management and communications services in support of the 2013-2018 Water and Development Strategy and any follow-on water strategy.
The Communications Component Leader will manage the Communications Component of the Water CKM Project and will oversee, and contribute to, the production of a high volume of communication products that include an online bi-monthly magazine, several regularly-published newsletters, annual reports, podcasts, photo essays, case studies, country profiles, news pieces, and other materials in support of E3/W’s CKM efforts. These products will feature content related to various water sector issues and USAID’s work in these areas, including water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) and agricultural water use.
The Communications Component Leader will:
- Liaise with the USAID Contracting Officer’s Representative (COR) and other E3/W members to ensure the timely production of high-quality materials that respond to the Agency’s priorities and needs;
- Create and manage an editorial production calendar to direct the production of a variety of publications and communications materials;
- Supervise the long-term Communications Specialists and a team of short-term technical writers and provide leadership in staff mentorship and professional development;
- Act as the Managing Editor of the online Global Waters Magazine, a bi-monthly publication featuring articles on the Agency’s work in the water sector, including developing story concepts and overseeing the writing and editing of feature articles;
- Manage the production of E3/W internal and external newsletters;
- Oversee the production of the annual Safeguarding the World’s Water report;
- Develop subject matter concepts for case studies, photo essays, podcasts, and other media as requested by E3/W;
- Write content regularly for articles and/or contribute other content to the project’s communication materials;
- Work with a graphic design firm to maintain a consistent look and feel for E3/W publications that comply with USAID’s Branding and Marking guidelines;
- Oversee the production of other ad hoc communications materials, as needed;
- Liaise regularly with other Water CKM staff to leverage linkages across project components for the purpose of improving the quality of communications products; and
- In coordination with USAID, develop new concepts and ideas for communication products and activities, and provide insight into audience needs and communication trends.
- Bachelor’s degree in media, journalism, communications, international development, public health or other relevant field; master’s degree preferred;
- Five to ten years of experience writing and editing feature articles and technical material, preferably in the field of journalism or international development;
- Strong management and supervisory experience;
- Experience managing a publication schedule and consistently meeting regular deadlines;
- Experience with, and knowledge of, the water sector preferred;
- Excellent writing, editing, reporting, and production skills, including familiarity with online media, social media, and graphic design techniques;
- Strong organizational and time management abilities; and
- Good working knowledge of USAID rules and regulations.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and CV. Samples of relevant, recent publications may also be submitted. Only select candidates will be contacted; no phone calls please.
ECODIT LLC is a leading international development firm with 23 years of experience working with governments, businesses, and local communities to advance environmentally- and socially-responsible development around the world. A U.S. small business, the firm currently holds five USAID Global Indefinite Delivery Indefinite Quantity contracts (IDIQs) in natural resources management (REPLACE), water (WADI), energy (Clean Energy IDIQ for Critical Priority Countries (CPCs) and non-CPCs), and urban and local governance (MCW IDIQ). Since 1997, ECODIT has managed multiple complex, multi-year multi-million dollar USAID-funded projects in the clean energy, water, environment and rural tourism sectors, as well as dozens of short-term, rapid-turnaround assignments in nearly 50 developing countries in all regions of the world. More information is available at www.ecodit.com.