Postdoctoral Researcher (CAWa Green Project)
We are seeking a postdoctoral research scientist to work in the frame of the CAWa-Green project, which is part of the “Green Central Asia” initiative of the Federal Foreign Office of Germany. The postdoctoral research scientist will focus on the improved quantification of water resources in the Central Asian region in terms of Snow Water Equivalent (SWE) and water storage variations from GRACE and GRACE-FO time-variable gravity data. The expected outcomes should support the operational monitoring of available water resources and the policy dialog in Central Asia by disseminating project results to regional water organizations.
- quantifying Snow Water Equivalent (SWE) using in-situ and globally available data (from, e.g., remote sensing, reanalyses)
- assimilation of remote sensing data (e.g. Snow Cover Area) in the modelling of SWE
- evaluation and validation of SWE with, e.g., in-situ and GRACE/GRACE-FO gravity data
- contribution in the development of policy briefs using the modelling results
- presentation of results at scientific meetings and publication in peer-reviewed journals
- compiling operational project reports and deliverables
- Master's degree and PhD in Earth, Environmental or Data Sciences, or in a related field
- advanced expertise in spatial data analysis
- assimilation/data fusion methods for Earth science applications
- expertise in the field of hydrology and hydrological modelling
- demonstrated expertise on GRACE data applications is an asset
- practical programming skills
- demonstrated capacity for international teamwork, and excellent communication skills
- creative and critical thinking and the ability to publish, demonstrated by a record of original and innovative publications
- proficiency in spoken and written English, knowledge of Russian language is an asse
Start date: as soon as possible
Fixed-term: 18 months (prolongation is subject to the availability of financial means)
Salary: This position has been assessed as being salary group 13 according to “TVöD Bund (Tarifgebiet Ost)”. The salary group will be determined by the conditions of the collective wage agreement and the appropriate personal qualifications.
Working hours: full-time (currently 39 h/week); The position is, in principle, suitable for part-time employment.
Place of work: Potsdam
What we offer:
- ambitious and varied tasks in a dynamic and international research environment
- state-of-the-art equipment
- public service benefits
- extensive training opportunities
- professional career advice offered by our in-house Career-Centre
- flexible working hours and conditions
- support with finding a good work-life balance offered by benefit@work
- institute day-care centre on site
- working at the Albert Einstein science park on the Telegrafenberg in Potsdam
- good public transport connections by being in walking distance of Potsdam main station
Did we pique your interest?
If so, we are looking forward to receiving your application by the 30th June 2020. Please use our online application form only.