$34.50 – $55.20 Hourly
$71,760 – $114,816 Annually
This position is a Pay Band EG
THIS POSTING WILL BE USED FOR ONGOING RECRUITMENT AND MAY CLOSE AT ANY TIME. APPLICANT LISTS MAY BE SCREENED MORE THAN ONCE.
To learn more about the Office of the State Engineer, please visit our website: https://www.ose.state.nm.us/
Why does the job exist?
The purpose of this position is to supervise and perform technical analyses of a complex scope on past and present uses of water in river and underground water basins for use in water rights administration and management. The incumbent of this position will assume responsibility for the direction, control and supervision of the Lower Rio Grande Water Master District and associated projects within the District IV office to assure that the final products meet the appropriate policy and profession standards of the agency. Incumbent will train, provide guidance and project management to professional and technical staff and assist in the development of administrative policies.
How does it get done?
– Enforcement of Active Water Resource Management which is a statutory requirement which requires the active maintenance and management of the State’s most precious resource – its water. This management includes the oversight and assignment of Lower Rio Grande Water Master District staff, field investigations, investigations on violations, compliance investigations and assignment of enforcement of notifications.
– Confer on water resource related matters: with Office of the State Engineer staff, other state and federal agencies, water users, engineering consultants, lawyers and the public.
– Prepare technical recommendations: to ensure appropriation of water is in accordance with New Mexico statutes, rules and regulations and policies governing ground and surface water.
– Administer water resource matters: within assigned basins to ensure compliance of statutes, regulations and policies governing the appropriation of water.
– Represent agency at various public meetings and serve on regulatory committees addressing changes that need to make to rules and regulations in order to effectively and properly manage the state’s limited water resources into the future.
– This position will supervise and provide training: to Assistant Water Master’s and provide project management in the daily activities of water rights administration.
– Supervise technical, professional and/or administrative staff: in support of the water rights process. Provide direction and guidance for water resource training and development for the District IV office.
– Provide expert testimony at trials, hearings, depositions, and other necessary proceedings.
Who are the customers?
This job assists the general public.
– Provide direction and guidance on the day-to-day operations of the Lower Rio Grande Water Master District staff. Provide water resource training and development for district office.
– Education, knowledge and experience with New Mexico water laws, agency rules, regulations, policies and practices.
– Ability to represent and speak on behalf of the agency at meetings and public events.
– Experience and extensive knowledge of New Mexico water right issues.
– Ability to work closely with the water rights managers to ensure objectives of the District IV Water Rights Divisions are met
consistently and with sound, defensible judgment.
– Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
– Ability to make high level decisions related to determining level of required effort to meet agency needs as they can be challenging.
Bachelor’s Degree in a related Water Resources discipline (Agriculture Science, Hydrology, Geology, Environmental Science, Water Resources, Watershed Management, Physics, Biology, Natural Science, Physical Science, Life Science, Biology, Chemistry, Geography Forestry/Forest Science, Conservation Science, Wildlife Science, Emergency Management or Engineering) and six (6) years of relevant experience. Any combination of education from an accredited college or university in a related field and/or direct experience as it pertains to the essential duties and responsibilities of this classification totaling ten (10) years may substitute for the required education and experience.
These combinations of education and experience qualify you for the position:
|1||High School Diploma or Equivalent||AND||10 years of experience||OR||High School Diploma or Equivalent||AND||10 years of experience|
|2||Associate’s degree in the field(s) specified in the minimum qualification||AND||8 years of experience||Associate’s degree or higher in any field||AND||10 years of experience|
|3||Bachelor’s degree in the field(s) specified in the minimum qualification||AND||6 years of experience|
|4||Master’s degree in the field(s) specified in the minimum qualification||AND||4 years of experience|
|5||PhD degree in the field(s) specified in the minimum qualification||AND||2 years of experience|
• Education and years of experience must be related to the purpose of the position.
• If Minimum Qualification requires a specific number of “semester hours” in a field (e.g. 6 semester hours in Accounting), applicants MUST have those semester hours in order to meet the minimum qualifications. No substitutions apply for semester hours.
Must possess and maintain a valid Driver’s License. Must possess and maintain a current Defensive Driving Course Certificate from the State of New Mexico or must pass and receive Defensive Driving Course Certification within six (6) months of date of hire as a condition of continued employment.
Work is performed in an office setting with exposure to Visual/Video Display Terminal (VDT) and extensive personal computer and phone usage. In this position extended periods of standing, sitting, walking, and carrying up to 25 pounds will be required. Travel may be required. May be stressful at times. Required to drive a state vehicle.
Do you know what Total Compensation is? Click here
Agency Contact Information: Craig Cathey (575) 524 – 6161Email
For information on Statutory Requirements for this position, click the Classification Description link on the job advertisement.
Bargaining Unit Position
This position is not covered by a collective bargaining agreement