Global WASH Specialist
As Global WASH Specialist, you are a member of the Basic Needs & Economic Inclusion Unit, part of the Social & Inclusion Division (S&I Division)
The S&I Division is composed of 20 persons, around 5 Units: Basic Needs & Economic Inclusion (BaNEI), Inclusive Governance, Inclusive Education, Social development, and Technical Assistance for Inclusion.
The BaNEI Unit, currently composed by 6 people: one Emergency Livelihood Specialist (covering the sectors of WASH, Shelter and Food assistance), one Emergency Cash & Market recovery Specialist, two Economic Inclusion Specialists and one Policy Lead) including a Manager, encompasses initiatives in emergency, recovery and development settings with around 74 projects in more than 35 countries that range from WASH, NFI/FI distribution (delivered through in kind or cash), wage to self-employment, graduation projects, economic recovery and resilience.
Under the Management of the BaNEI Unit Manager and in the team responsibility of the Emergency Livelihood Specialist acting as Team Leader, in support of the operational teams (headquarters and field), with a strong functional link with the other Specialists and the Emergency Division you support the development of HI strategy for the WASH sector and you are in charge of developing and framing the approach and tools related to the implementation of WASH activities in humanitarian responses, as well as providing technical support and staff training for the proper implementation of field projects.
You will also have a strong professional relationship with the Emergency Division team (participation to the working groups, contribution to the response strategy, etc.).
This is a fixed term position in order to support HI COVID-19 response and impact on WASH with possibility of renewal according to needs.
Your main mission will be to support HI and its country programs in the design and implementation of WASH activities
In this part your main tasks will be:
• Develop, frame and disseminate professional approaches, know-how, positioning and interventions for the WASH sector. The focus will be first on hygiene promotion (especially in the context of COVID-19 prevention measures) but it will also cover other aspects of the WASH sector such as water supply and excreta management. Ensure sectorial watch, harnessing and appropriation of norms and international standards internally. Write and deploy the framework documentation containing HI’s norms and standards; and ensure dissemination. Guarantee complementarity of standards and norms between HI sectors. Contribute to the development of the WASH strategy and its implementation.
• Provide technical and methodological support to WASH projects implemented by field teams (with a focus on the current Covid-19 response). You will also be in charge of ensuring the inter-field and global technical coherence of the interventions, through support the recruitment and onboarding of WASH staff for field project, field missions, exploratory missions (once international travel will be allowed again) regular distance exchanges, training facilitation, technical coaching, etc....
• In coordination with the technical specialists carrying out HI's other sectors of intervention in a humanitarian context (Physical and functional rehabilitation, Mental Health &Psychosocial, Protection, Inclusion, Shelter, Atlas logistique etc.), you develop holistic and inclusive approach to respond to WASH needs of populations affected by a crisis with particular attention to vulnerable people and people with disabilities;
• Contribute to the improvement of technical know-how through the development of lessons learnt, research and innovation projects on WASH when relevant. Identify strategic learning questions. Ensure technical learning from projects by using lessons learned and best practices (review of capitalization and assessments).
• In support of the BaNEI Unit Manager and the Team Leader and in links with the BaNEI Policy Lead, ensure internal and external representation on WASH expertise. You will be involved in various external technical networks and, if necessary, ensure the link with other actors in the humanitarian response.
• You hold a Bachelor, Master Degree or an equivalent training in a WASH related field (engineer, technical and/or environmental studies…)
• You have at least 5 years technical experience in the implementation of WASH projects/programmes in emergency contexts.
• You have good knowledge in Infection, Prevention and Control (IPC) measures in infections disease contexts (such as COVID-19)+ in hygiene promotion
• You are also experienced in water supply and sanitation
• You master design software(s), such as AutoCAD or equivalent
• You have a very good understanding of the humanitarian context (standards, stakeholders, mechanisms)
• You know writing and supporting the implementation of strategic guidance as well as tool development
• You are familiar with intercultural participatory approaches.
• you have good communication skills and able to interact with people from different cultures; you are flexible, patient and not afraid to evolve in a changing environmen
• You are flexible and available for field missions
• You are fluent in English and have a high level of French (both orally and in writing)
English : Fluent
French : Good
• Type of contract : Fixed Term Contract of 12 months with a possible renewal
• Additional benefits: luncheon vouchers and health insurance
• Working hours: 39 hours a week with 22.5 days of RTT (work time reduction) to be taken each year for Lyon – 38 hours a week for Brussels
• 5 weeks of annual leave