Senior Technical Officer (Climate Change Questionnaire)
Job purpose and background
Are you passionate about environmental issues, tackling climate change, deforestation and improving water security? Would you like to be at the heart of driving changes through environmental disclosure?
CDP’s Disclosure & Assessment team is looking for a Senior Technical Officer to work on its corporate climate change questionnaire, guidance and related technical documents, and also to support the wider team ensure that all other outputs are delivered accurately and efficiently into our online disclosure platform.
The role requires the ability to work independently as well as collaboratively, to analyse complex data, and to think critically and innovatively. You will apply your strong analytical, problem solving and communication skills to contribute to a variety of disclosure related tasks and to support technical queries from companies and colleagues. This is an excellent opportunity to enhance GHG accounting and environmental reporting knowledge across a range of topics and industrial sectors.
About the Disclosure & Assessment Team, Disclosure Department
CDP’s Disclosure Department is responsible for evolving and operating CDP’s disclosure platform and processes. The Disclosure & Assessment team is responsible for delivering and supporting CDP’s questionnaires and reporting guidance materials, and for assessing the responses to these questionnaires provided to CDP by companies, cities and state/regional governments.
Key responsibilities include:
- Assisting the Technical Manager in day-to-day tasks related to the delivery of the questionnaire and guidance for companies
- Supporting the planning, implementation and optimising of the team’s processes and procedures related to the input of content into CDP’s online systems - across CDP’s three themes of Climate change, Forests and Water Security
- Coordinating the associated tasks of the Technical Officers
- Assisting the Scoring team with a variety of tasks as required
- Responding to internal technical queries on the climate change questionnaire and guidance
- Analysing response data and conducting research to inform the questionnaire revisions and developments
- Drafting and proofreading content for technical documents
- Preparing presentations and presenting information to colleagues and companies
Required skills and experience
- A relevant academic qualification and at least 2 years of professional experience in a climate change or corporate sustainability-related role;
- A demonstrable understanding of global climate change agenda and of climate-related risks and opportunities for companies;
- The ability to organize and interpret qualitative and quantitative data, and present results in a clear and concise way;
- Experience in establishing operational processes and supervising junior staff;
- Strong communication and problem-solving skills;
- Excellent standard of written English;
- Strong time management and organizational skills with an ability to work effectively and accurately under pressure, whilst still paying attention to detail.
Desirable skills (one or more of the following would be an advantage):
- Familiarity with project management concepts;
- Advanced level Excel data analysis skills;
- Hands on experience of IT systems;
- Knowledge of greenhouse gas accounting standards;
- Familiarity with the CDP climate change questionnaire;
- Experience or knowledge of environmental reporting frameworks.
This is a full-time role based at CDP’s central London office, reporting to the Technical Manager, Climate Change Questionnaire.
The successful candidate will be provided with a contract for a fixed term of 12 months with possibility for extension.
Salary and benefits: £27-30k per annum, 30 days’ holiday plus bank holidays, generous non-contributory pension provision, annual discretionary bonus (depending on company performance), Employee Assistance Programme, life assurance, training and development, flexible working opportunities and other benefits.
Interested applicants must be eligible to work legally in the UK.
Before you apply
We’ll only use the information you provide to process your application. For more details on how we use your information, see our applicants privacy notice. By emailing us your CV and covering letter, you are permitting CDP to use the information you have provided for recruitment purposes.
Please email your CV and a covering letter setting out how you meet the required skills and experience, which should be no more than two pages, to email@example.com with “Senior Technical Officer, Climate Change Questionnaire” in the subject. The applications will be considered on a rolling basis with a final deadline of midnight (BST) on 26th June 2020. Please note that while all applications will be reviewed, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.