Research Triangle Institute (RTI) has over 30 years’ experience assisting governments, communities, and the private sector. As a not-for-profit, independent research institute based in North Carolina, USA, RTI has roughly 5,000 employees with global experience implementing international development projects. RTI’s Sustainable Growth & Resilience (SG&R) technical unit within the International Development Group brings together RTI experts and capabilities across food security, agriculture, energy, environment, water, governance, and economic opportunity. SG&R will leverage RTI’s experience designing and delivering multisectoral programming and technical solutions to respond to climate change, build resilience, and promote economic growth around the world.
SG&R’s Water and Urban Resilience portfolio has delivered innovative, breakthrough solutions in key development sectors, including water sector governance, water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) services, economic livelihood development, community engagement, and institutional capacity building. Our work spans the Africa continent with a growing presence in South Asia.
The Water and Urban Resilience portfolio is recruiting for a Water Governance Manager. This person will implement technical tasks and assignments, conduct water-related research (including resilience and urban services management) and contribute to business development and technical proposal writing. This will be a mid-level technical position for the group, and the incumbent will have the opportunity to provide technical assistance, manage programs, lead business development opportunities, and conduct research while working collaboratively with the Water and Urban Resilience division and other SG&R staff. The work will entail supporting a growing water and urban resilience portfolio of international development projects working primarily in urban/rural WASH service delivery, water and sanitation sector governance, water resources management, sanitation planning and water security.
This position will report to the Associate Director and would be based in Washington, DC or the Research Triangle Park, North Carolina (RTI headquarters) or telework within the US. International telecommuting will be considered on case-by-case basis. The position will be expected to travel internationally up to 30% of the time. Candidates must be eligible to work in their country of residence without sponsorship.
Project Management and Implementation:
- Responsible for the accuracy of project timelines, tasks, milestones, resource requirements, costs, risks and execution for any assigned projects.
- Support the Chief of Party and Portfolio Director in the definition and execution of project activities; the development of plans, schedules, budgets and deliverable; management of grants; and performance issues with project staff and sub-contractors or sub-awardees.
- Monitor and review project budget and expenditures, financial forecasts, working with business partners to ensure compliance with corporate and client regulations.
- Regularly confer with the client for any assigned projects to get performance feedback and to resolve problems or issues should they arise.
Business and Proposal Development:
- Contribute to business development by leading and/or supporting capture and proposal efforts.
- Serve as a technical contributor for proposal solutioning, conceptualizing technical approaches, teaming strategies, partner negotiations.
- Contribute to proposal capture through engagement in capture trips; preparation of materials in response to client requests for information; and provide inputs to develop technical content for marketing materials pertaining to water and urban resilience projects.
Research and Thought Leadership:
- Contribute to the scientific stature of RTI by leading and/or supporting research on specific subjects and development of written reports in various formats from blog posts to academic research articles to publicity and outreach materials.and the water urban resilience team through research, collaboration, and learning.
- Stay current on trends, tools, and approaches related to water and/or urban resilience topics, such as on water governance, climate resilience, urban services delivery, nature-based solutions, market systems, private sector participation, financing and others. Share knowledge both internally and externally through publications, blogs, presentations, conferences, workshops, and other platforms.
- Bachelor’s Degree and 8 years of experience, Master’s degree and 6 years of experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- At least 5 years of professional experience in the international development sector required, including experience with USAID-funded projects.
- Demonstrated technical experience and professional interest in governance and one or more of the following areas: water, sanitation, hygiene (WASH), water resource management, urban service delivery, and/or climate change.
- Previous experience supporting business development, including experience with proposal capture, proposal management and/or proposal technical writing.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of multi-disciplinary, multi-cultural teams in dispersed locations is a plus.
- Knowledge of water, governance urban services, climate change and/or resilience concepts and trends.
- Must work effectively under deadlines, both independently and as a part of the team.
- Must speak, read and write in English and Spanish.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Proven writing skills, such as technical proposals, academic or research assignments, or similar.
- Advanced knowledge and skill with MS Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel.
Expected salary range for a US-based employee is indicated below. Please note, if the position is based outside of the US, the salary range would be different.
EEO & Pay Equity Statements
For San Francisco, CA USA Job Postings Only: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. Further information is available here.
The anticipated pay range for this role is listed below. Our pay ranges represent national averages and may vary by location as a geographic differential may be applied to some locations within the United States.
RTI considers multiple factors when making an offer including, for example: established salary range, internal budget, business needs, and education and years of work experience possessed by the applicant. Further, salary is merely one element to our offer.
At RTI, we demonstrate our commitment to rewarding individual and team achievement through a total rewards package. This package includes (among other things) a competitive base salary, a generous paid time off policy, merit based annual increases, bonus opportunities and a robust recognition program. Other benefits include a competitive range of insurance plans (including health, dental, life, and short-term and long-term disability), access to a retirement savings program such as a 401(k) plan, paid parental leave for all parents, financial assistance with adoption expenses or infertility treatments, financial reimbursement for education and developmental opportunities, an employee assistance program, and numerous other offerings to support a healthy work-life balance.
Equal Pay Act Minimum/Range
As a global employer of choice, RTI is committed to equity, diversity, inclusion and belonging in the workplace and the communities and markets where we serve our mission. We value diversity of thought, culture, background and perspective and welcome applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, creed, citizenship status, disability, protected veteran status, or any other classification protected by applicable discrimination laws or RTI policy.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Further information is available here.
Click here. to view the EEOC Know Your Rights Poster.