The incumbent serves as the Oregon Irrigation Water Management Specialist to provide technical support services related to irrigated agriculture water quantity and quality issues across Oregon. The incumbent works closely with Basin Staff, State Office Technology Staffs, Soil Sciences Staff, Soil and Water Conservation Districts, University Water Management Specialists, State of Oregon personnel and others to provide guidance and coordination for water management activities throughout Oregon.
- Plans or assists in the planning and evaluation on a landscape scale of soil and water conservation projects involving complex irrigation systems on large areas of irrigated land.
- Provides technical guidance and consultation to NRCS and SWCD staff on a wide variety of irrigation system techniques and procedures.
- Reviews and implements agency policies, procedures, standards, specifications, and handbooks as related to planning, design, and installation of irrigation systems, irrigation water management (IWM).
- Advises, assists, and trains NRCS and SWCD field office personnel, farmers and ranchers and irrigation company personnel in water management technology.
- Counsels and coordinates activities with other specialists in agronomy, soils, plant sciences, and biology to ensure an interdisciplinary approach to soil and water conservation system planning and implementation is carried out.
- Serves as an incidental motor vehicle operator. This requires the operation of a motor vehicle on both public and private roads during daylight hours and occasionally after dark.