The Environment and Natural Resources Division helps federal and state agencies address complex policy, management, and regulatory challenges. Our services include economic analysis, cost-benefit analysis, risk assessments, environmental modeling, regulatory and voluntary program support, and IT solutions. Our clients include the Environmental Protection Agency, Army Corps of Engineers, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, and the Department of Energy.
Abt Associates Inc. is seeking a water resources engineer or scientist with a diverse skill set, a passion for learning, and an interest in environmental issues. The individual will be an integral part of a team that assesses environmental programs and the impact of federal regulations, particularly the Clean Water Act (CWA) on water quality, hydrology, and aquatic ecosystem health. Candidate experience should include building and using pollutant fate and transport, watershed or other water resources tools and models, and analysis of environmental effects of management actions in aquatic environments. Position responsibilities include the development, evaluation, and implementation of quantitative methods for assessing environmental impacts of CWA regulations, identification of assessment endpoints, and development of regional- and national- scale estimates of regulatory effects. The position requires the ability to work in interdisciplinary teams and involves the preparation of written reports to carefully present the methodology, results, and policy implications of analyses. The candidate will have extensive contact with clients and will assist in business development and proposal writing.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Lead project management teams and perform/manage a variety of research analysis tasks to evaluate the impacts of regulations or other policies on water resources.
- Review collected data and analyses using standard practices and techniques in water resources management.
- Apply quantitative and/or qualitative analysis techniques and methods.
- Independently, work on assignments that are complex under indirect supervision where there is latitude for independent action and decision-making.
- May provide direction and technical supervision to less experienced staff.
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- Masters’ degree in engineering, water resources management, hydrology or a related field with strong experience designing and using watershed and pollutant fate and transport models, an outstanding academic record, and experience working in a consulting or applied research setting.
- Excellent oral communication, writing, and analytical skills are essential.
- Proven technical expertise, including experience using programming languages and environmental models.
- Experience with U.S. Environmental Protection Agency programs and regulations, as well as coursework in economics and policy analysis, is preferred but not required.
- Demonstrated capabilities in managing project tasks and budgets will also be considered an advantage.
MA/MS (3) years of experience OR PhD (Entry Level) OR the equivalent combination of education and experience.
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits.