UNICEF works in 190 countries and territories to protect the rights of every child. UNICEF has spent 70 years working to improve the lives of children and their families. Defending children’s rights throughout their lives requires a global presence, aiming to produce results and understand their effects. UNICEF believes all children have a right to survive, thrive, and fulfill their potential – to the benefit of a better world.
For every child, Clean Water.
With over 850 indigenous languages and one f the most ethnically diverse populations, widespread poverty, and gender inequality make it hard for many children to realize their rights. In Papua New Guinea (PNG), UNICEF’s works effectively both ‘upstream’ (with governments) and ‘downstream’ (at the grassroots level) to carry out its mission through a programme of cooperation jointly developed with the government guides our work in the country.
How can you make a difference?
The purpose of the WASH consultant is to support and overlook UNICEF activities and interventions in NCD, Lae, Goroka, Hagen and Central Bougainville ensuring institutional contract and partnership construction work is as per the agreed design and specifications. This position will verify and certify the construction works in close coordination with NDOE, NDOH, provincial authorities and DDA’s of respective districts.
Under the guidance of WASH chief and WASH specialist, the consultant will work closely with implementing partners and Government counterparts on monitoring and quality control of construction works to ensure that all the construction activities are completed on time, certified and handed over to the institutions and communities. S/he will provide technical advice and support to the implementing partners, institutional contractors, national and provincial counterparts on achieving the key results and will therefore responsible for following specific tasks but not entirely exhaustive:
- Provide technical assistance in construction of handwashing facilities in 44 urban schools, 20 in Goroka and 20 in Hagen
- Provide technical assistance in construction of WASH facilities in 17 urban clinics.
- Provide technical assistance in construction of WASH facilities in 2 markets.
- Support implementing partner on Procurement, Fabrication and installation of materials required for construction
- Certify the construction activities in schools, markets and Health centres as per agreed design and specifications
- Coordinate with NDOE, NDOH, provincial authorities and DDAs in districts on joint monitoring of construction activities.
- Build implementing partners capacity to ensure proper implementation
- Monitor performance of the implementing partners and provide feedback on delays and bottlenecks for timely delivery.
- Conduct biweekly meetings with IPs and track progress against the set targets.
As a champion for every child, you will have…
- A university degree in Civil Engineering or Building Construction or Architecture
- Minimum of three years of professional work experience in construction with a focus on capacity building, supervise, training/mentoring, construction management, communication, program monitoring and evaluation
- Fluency in written and spoken English required
For every Child, you demonstrate…
our core values of Commitment, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability.
This position is a short-term consultancy project and doesn’t give rise to a long-term permanent post with the organization. For full Terms of Reference, you may email [email protected]
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority, and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history.
UNICEF does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing, or training).
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Opening Date Thu Jun 11 2020 19:30:00 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time) West Pacific Standard Time
Closing Date Wed Jun 17 2020 21:55:00 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time