JOB TITLE: Executive Director
POSITION TYPE: Full Time / Exempt
REPORTS TO: Board of Directors
DIRECTLY SUPERVISES: CCF Staff
MISSION: Cottonwood Canyons Foundation (CCF) works to “support the environment of the Cottonwood Canyons through stewardship and education”.
The Cottonwood Canyons are a critical and magnificent ecosystem, provide approximately 60% of the drinking water for Salt Lake City, and are a major economic engine for the state of Utah. They are also located within one of the most highly visited portions of national forest in the nation and receive extraordinarily high numbers of visitors and therefore experience high levels of use and recreational pressure.
We see it as extremely important to educate the public who utilize this area for recreation and drinking water, on the canyons’ importance and how they can help promote their ecological health. We also aim to provide the community with direct and hands-on ways to give back to this environment through volunteering.
It is our belief that if we all better understand the importance of this area, and if we all take part in helping to improve it, the Cottonwood Canyons will continue to be a healthy environment and watershed and a spectacular place to recreate for generations to come. We’re grateful to our partners and community of volunteers for their help in these efforts.
PURPOSE OF POSITION: The Executive Director (ED) will guide CCF through strategic planning with the Board of Directors and strong leadership of year-round and seasonal staff. The ED is the primary administrator of CCF and works directly with the Board of Directors.
This position is responsible for financial management, employee relations, program and policy development, public relations, fundraising and event management, and oversight of all activities of the organization.
This position requires at least five years of nonprofit management that includes work in the areas previous listed; ideally at the executive director or assistant director level. The ideal candidate for this position will have a passionate commitment to the environment, particularly the Cottonwood Canyons area, but does not require formal education or experience in environmental organizations.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND BACKGROUND:
· Bachelor’s Degree and/or 5 years of relevant experience; advanced degree preferred
· At least 5 years of professional experience in nonprofit organizations with demonstrable increases in administrative, programmatic and managerial responsibilities. Must include at least 2 years’ experience in nonprofit management, preferably as the top executive
· Demonstrated success in developing and managing annual budgets
· Demonstrated fundraising and special events success as well as understanding of the principles of effective fundraising; experience with federal grants preferred
· Experience leading a board of directors through governance, strategic planning, and organizational growth
· Demonstrated program management knowledge including basic statistical methods, budget development and oversight, and knowledge of local, state and federal regulations for the workplace
· Excellent oral and written communication skills and exceptional public speaking skills.
· Proven ability to develop and maintain EXCEPTIONAL relationships
· Exceptional interpersonal skills and a commitment to helping others reach their full potential
· Experience providing direction, leadership and vision to a nonprofit staff, board and/or volunteers, including motivational techniques and professional development/training methods.
· Experience with public relations, media relations and marketing
· Ability to develop and strengthen partnerships and collaborations to further the CCF mission
· Knowledge of the Cottonwood Canyons area through recreational use preferred
· Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public
· Ability to demonstrate eligibility for work in the United States
· Able to pass a background check
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
· Knowledge of Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and MSDS safety rules
· Excellent interpersonal, organizational and motivational skills as well as the ability to work well in a fast-paced environment and handle multiple tasks at once
· Excellent oral and written communication skills and a genuine desire to model and facilitate productive communication in the workplace
· Exceptional computer skills with the following but not limited to: Word, Excel, Power Point, Email, Internet, Quickbooks, Google Drive and all Google software.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT: Work is performed generally at a desk. However, the ED is expected to frequently visit the various programs while in progress.
· Ability to sit for periods of time while working on a computer or phone
· 40 hours or more per week with some nights and weekends required
· Demonstrate knowledge of nonprofit management best practices
· Maintain a positive and healthy workplace environment that attracts, retains and motivates top quality staff
· Develop strong collaboration with board members, other nonprofit organizations, foundations, individual donors, sponsors, community partners government entities, corporations, educational institutions and research institutions
· Demonstrate inclusive and collaborative mindset to maintain good relationships with partner organizations
· Function as the spokesperson for CCF
· Demonstrate and model personal integrity and ethics
· Must be able to articulate CCF’s non-political mission and describe education and stewardship programs to the public
· Guide the Board of Directors in creating agendas, meeting logistics and communications
· Lead the board in governance training and implementation of best practices
· Attend all meetings of Board and Executive Committee as nonvoting member
· Provide background for Board to make informed decisions in developing policies and strategic plan
· Collaborate with Board to develop strategic plans, goals, objectives, action items and timelines
· Ensure implementation of Board policies and strategic plan
· Report to the Board progress and course corrections of strategic plan, objectives and timeline
· Recommend and initiate new policies and programs to enhance CCF’s mission, strategic plan and services
· Assist with Board recruitment and training
Fundraising and management:
· Develop a fundraising plan to meet current and long-term financial needs
· Implement fundraising strategies with support from Board
· Maintain strong relationships with funders and create a donor recognition program
· Solicit corporate sponsorships for annual events and programs
· Write and/or oversee grant proposals and negotiate grant awards (may include Federal and local government grants)
· Monitor grant programs for compliance and produce all required reporting
· Develop budgets in coordination with staff and board
· Approve and direct expenditures within the Board approved budget
· Appropriately maintain all financial records
· Prepare monthly financial statements for Treasurer and Board review
· Oversee and supervise the daily operation of the CCF office and functions
· Manage all aspects of employee relations including recruitment, selection, development, coaching, team building, performance review and termination of volunteers, interns and staff
· Comply with all national, state and local legal and reporting requirements
· Monitors safety compliance for staff and volunteers. Follows safety management plans
· Maintains records and statistics
· Oversees the ordering and inventory of supplies and equipment
· Carries out other duties as assigned by the Board of Directors
EVALUATION: Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with the provisions of Board policy.
ACKNOWLEDGEMENT: This job description describes the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties that may be assigned or skills that may be required.
Job Type: Full-time
- professional experience in nonprofit organizations: 5 years (Preferred)
- Multiple locations
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Paid time off
- Work from home
- Flexible schedule
This Company Describes Its Culture as:
- Detail-oriented — quality and precision-focused
- Innovative — innovative and risk-taking
- Outcome-oriented — results-focused with strong performance culture
- People-oriented — supportive and fairness-focused
- Team-oriented — cooperative and collaborative
- Monday to Friday
- Weekends required
- On call
- Waiting period may apply
- Temporarily due to COVID-19