The SDGnexus Network
The SDGnexus Network, consisting of partners from Colombia, Ecuador, Germany, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan, provides a common research framework related to the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) of the United Nations (UN) and aims to analyze synergies and trade-offs among individual SDGs (SDG nexus analysis). The project will run until the end of 2024.
The SDGnexus Network investigates interrelations among single SDGs within the following five focal research areas: Food systems, Water, Urban & rural areas, Natural resources, SDG monitoring. Please find further information on the research areas at https://t1p.de/snnra.
The Network intends to prepare the next generation of scientists by implementing a variety of teaching programs (particularly e-Learning) and training activities, with particular attention for the needs of junior researchers.
Summary of the position
At the University of Cuenca we will concentrate on two focal areas: Food systems and Water. Water management is key to reaching some SDGs. However, if not well managed it can produce negative impacts on other SDGs. Therefore, you will conduct research related to Food systems and Water, particularly the synergies and trade-offs they generate with a variety of SDGs. You will initiate new research, assume fieldwork, teaching, and/or outreach responsibilities, and assist in grant proposal writing and reporting.
Besides, you will foster the relations among and work closely with the international partners, contribute to the development of and actively participate in (e-Learning) teaching modules related to sustainable development, take part in and design networking events, and support the supervision of early-stage researchers.
We are looking for highly motivated Ecuadorians that bring curiosity in research and commitment to scientific excellence.
- You have a Ph.D. and a Master’s degree in a topic related to water resources, food systems, environment, or similar.
- You have good knowledge of the water-energy-food nexus and of the SDGs, and specifically a good understanding of the interaction/conflicts among stakeholders related to different water uses, food, and energy production in the Andean Highlands.
- You have strong communication skills in spoken and written Spanish and English, and excellent scientific skills such as computer programming in Python or R.
- Experience in teaching, including e-learning, is a great advantage.
- You have demonstrated ability to work in teams.
- Leadership qualities characterize your personality.
- The enthusiasm to work in a multi-disciplinary, collaborative, and international environment characterizes you.
How to apply
Applications must be submitted as a single PDF file and must include a cover letter, curriculum vitae, publication list, project list, list of teaching experience, a minimum of two letters of recommendation, academic certificates, and a research project proposal related to the two focal areas. Within the research project proposal (1000-1500 words) applicants should outline the current situation, describe their motivation, and summarize how they intend to contribute to the SDGnexus Network, including teaching.
Please send your application via e-mail ([email protected]), with the subject header of the email: “SDG Nexus Postdoc position”, until June 30th, 2020 to the local project coordinator Prof. Dr. Rolando Célleri Alvear, Department of Water Resources and Environmental Sciences, Universidad de Cuenca. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and invited for interviews. The ideal starting date for the position is August 1, 2020.
For further information on the Department of Water Resources and Environmental Sciences see https://www.ucuenca.edu.ec/idrhica