Desired start date: 1st July 2020
Duration of the mission: 5 months
Location: Position based in based in Erbil with field trips in Ninewa, Salah Adine, Bagdad, Anbar, Diyalah
The SI mission has been opened in February 2017, with emphasis on the Mosul response. The mission in composed of one Coordination in Erbil (5 expatriates and 8 national staff) one operational base in Mosul (1 expatriate and 23 national staff), and one new base in Bardarash (1 expatriate and 6 national staff). Regarding the evolution of the context, the mission will aim at keeping an early recovery WaSH component with ongoing research for development of new areas in line with the shift of context that entail wave of return movements to newly secured area. Simultaneously, as some camp will remain at less until 2020, being a key actor in wash in camps is a process already launched through the consortia.
About the job
- The WASH specialist, as technical advisor dedicated to the consortia (IHF, Echo,) is mainly involved in the follow up and technical advise of the projects implemented within the consortia. Punctually, he can provide advises about projects or strategies at mission level.
- The wash specialist is as well the co-coordinator of Ninewa sub wash cluster in partnership with PAH.
He contributes to:
- Guarantee the technical follow up and the reporting of the projects implemented by the partners in the 2 consortia, in camps and out of camps, to the donor. He is playing a key role in the consortia follow up but is also involved in the potential other project of the mission.
- Occasionally, the wash specialist contributes to the development of Solidarités International strategy by proposing a sector-based strategy in the field of Water supply, Sanitation and HP.
- Linking with Wash cluster, PAH and wash actors in Ninewa
Specific stakes and challenges :
- He/she coordinates the project cycle and more particularly the operational monitoring of WASH programs implemented in the intervention country, mainly within the 2 consortia.
- He/she contributes to the process of capitalization and the improvement of Solidarités International methods and techniques in the field of WASH.
- Readjust the operational WASH strategy according to contextual evolutions
- Work jointly with the PM for the coordination of the sub wash cluster of Mosul.
- Work jointly with the Country Director
Priorities for the 2/3 first months:
- Have a clear overview of each project and each partner involved in the consortia
- According to access, organize visit in the intervention areas of partners
- Conduct assessments in new areas
- Enhance understanding of the operational environment to develop SI WaSH positioning
This position is under the supervision of the country director.
This position has one MEAL specialist to manage.
Specific required skills:
- 3 years’ experience minimum in relevant Water, Sanitation and Hygiene project management and/or coordination in NGO / humanitarian fields.
- Knowledge of project cycle management, project design and proposal writing.
- Technical knowledge on emergency water supply and gravity flow network design and management, WaSH response in camps, urban WASH (water treatment and network rehabilitation).
- Knowledge of community mobilization, water and sanitation social management, hygiene promotion methodologies and public health basics.
- Knowledge in cash based initiatives is an asset.
- Knowledge of SI rules and procedures is an advantage.
- Willingness to work in complex and volatile environments
- English written and spoken Arabic/Kurdish is an asset
Si will offer you
A salaried position: starting from 2860 euros gross per month (including 10% annual leave allowance paid monthly) and a monthly per diem of 750 USD a month. Please note that salary is not negotiable with SI.
Vacation: During the assignment, a system of alternation between work and time off is implemented at the rate of on 7 working days every three months. For a one-year assignment, the expatriate will have a 7 working days break at 3/6 and 9 month (with 850 USD allocated by SI). To these break periods, it is necessary to add the granting of 1 additional rest day per month worked (i.e. 12 days in addition for a 1-year contract)
Social and medical cover: Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
- Erbil security situation is stable, however the situation is prone to changes due to the political situation. Though the living environment in Erbil feels safe, there are still risks, including the risk of car accidents, robbery/theft and sexual harassment (in particular from taxi drivers to female expats). The major risks currently are from ‘wrong time, wrong place’ incidents, such as small arms fire resulting from personal disputes. There is no curfew in Erbil.
- Bardarash, Dohuk are locations under the control of KRI forces. The security is stable. No major security issues to mentioned. Erbil and those locations can be reached with a maximum of 2h.
- Security in Mosul city is volatile, but relatively stable day-to-day and is a permissible operating environment for NGOs. This security situation can deteriorate rapidly within the city so strong security processes remain in place and the context is constantly monitored. There is a large presence of armed actors who control different areas (various PMU factions, Iraqi Army, Police etc) which remains a risk for power struggles and security incidents.
Key information about living conditions
Good living conditions in Erbil: individual rooms, fully equipped guest house and office, possibility to walk in the neighborhood, lots of restaurant, no curfew. Nevertheless, movements by foot for female staff alone at night are not allowed due to risks of harassment, dedicated transportation means are identified.
Does this description fit you? Please send us your CV and Cover letter in English. CV only applications will not be considered.
NB: The vacancy may close before the deadline. Thank you for your comprehension
For further information about Solidarités International, please consult our website: http://www.solidarites.org/en/