The World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) is one of the largest independent conservation organizations in the world, active in almost 100 countries. Our mission is to stop the environmental degradation in the world and build a future where humans live in harmony with nature.
WWF has been working in Laos since the late 1980’s, with the official establishment of the country office in 2001. Our conservation programme has strategic focus on Landscape Planning & Management, Wildlife & Protected Areas, and Responsible Investments, Production & Consumption. Our vision by 2030 is that the human footprint in Laos stays within the country’s capacity to maintain the full spectrum of biological diversity and ecosystems.
As Country Director you will lead one of our most critical country offices in the Asia Pacific Region – you will be a dynamic and committed leader who has proven experience in driving high performance through efficient operating systems, increasing staff capacity, strong financial systems and resources, advocacy and fundraising, and delivering strategic impact. You will be part of the Asia Pacific Regional Leadership team and contribute to our regional strategic planning and ensuring our conservation agenda has maximum impact.
Based in: Vientiane Capital, Lao PDR with extensive travel within country and globally.
As Country Director Laos, you will:
- Provide and lead the vision, strategic planning and institutional development of WWF-Laos Country Office as the leading conservation INGO nationally, regionally and globally.
- Direct, manage & is accountable for the running of WWF-Laos Country Office and ensures it is managed effectively and efficiently in all key programme areas – Programme, Finance and Administration, People & Culture, Partnership Development, and Communications and Marketing – achieving and continuously improving WWF-Laos’s vision and goals
- Provide effective leadership and line management for all members of senior management team;
- Provide thought leadership on key conservation issues at national level and manages key partnerships including national Government to ensure optimal communications and mutually beneficial relationships are established and maintained.
- Promote the vision and objectives of the WWF-Laos Strategic Plan to internal and external WWF stakeholders, and participates in strategic partnership-building and fundraising approaches in coordination with all stakeholders as appropriate.
- Play a pro-active role in the Regional Leadership Team in building a strong Asia Pacific programme of WWF.
- Actively affirm and role model WWF’s behaviours, values and culture
Your qualifications and demonstrable experience will include:
- At least 10 years’ professional experience in a leadership role preferably with an NGO, 3 -5 years should be within the Asia region, with demonstrated success in managing multi-disciplinary/ multi-cultural teams;
- Advanced university degree in Conservation, Business Management, International Relations / Development, or other related fields. Additional academic training or a degree in an environmental / conservation fields for those from Business management/development background and additional management/Leadership training for those from Conservation background would be a strong asset;
- Proven track record in successfully developing, leading, and managing large-scale programmes and/or institutions in the field of conservation, natural resource management, international development, and/or other related fields;
- Successful track record in fund raising;
- Superior oral and written communication skills in English and other local languages.
WWF Laos can offer you:
Contract duration: 3 year fixed term contract with possible extension
Please note the compensation package will be aligned with local salary and benefits conditions, in line with our reward policy.
For more information on our work in Laos please visit: http://www.wwf.org.la/
How to apply:
If you have the skills and experience and are interested in leading our Laos Country office, please email your cover letter and CV in English to [email protected] citing in the subject line ‘CD Laos [YOUR FIRST NAME][YOUR LAST NAME]’
Deadline for applications: June 21, 2020.
Thank you in advance for your interest in this position. Due to the urgent nature of this appointment, applications will be reviewed on a daily basis and interviews happen prior to the deadline. Please also note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. If you have not been contacted within six weeks of the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful for this role.
Female and Asian national applicants are encouraged to apply for this position. Work permit restrictions may apply.