The Institute for the Environment (IE) at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is seeking a Research Associate to 1) assist with coordination of ongoing and new research projects 2) lead an unmanned aerial system (UAS) project focused on North Carolina coastal systems and 3) participate in remote sensing and drone project development and execution.
Project coordination is in concert with IE leadership and may include:
– assisting with project communications, and problem identification/solving
– information/data gathering for report drafting, and
– exploring additional research opportunities with project generated data.
The UAS project includes developing UAS survey techniques for riverine flood corridors, conducting flights to assess the feasibility of UAS collected data for habitat characterizations, debris surveys (both natural and non-natural origins), and floodplain characterizations.
Remote sensing and drone project development includes seeking funding opportunities to initiate and execute projects, developing collaborations across the University to generate UAS project opportunities, and leading drone and remote sensing education opportunities within and outside of UNC.
Relevant post-Baccalaureate degree required; for candidates demonstrating comparable independent research productivity, will accept a relevant undergraduate degree and 3 or more years of relevant experience in substitution.
Qualifications and Experience
– Coordinate interdisciplinary and specialized projects
– Assist with the research and execution of project tasks
– Collaborate with and liaison among scientists and project participants
– Experience in analyzing and interpreting remotely sensed and GPS data, on the landscape and watershed level data to understand processes, and the ability to use UAS for data collection and appropriate software for analysis.
– Use of remote sensed data for understanding environmental conditions
– Geospatial Information and Technology systems and techniques
– UAS mapping and processing software (e.g. Pix4d, Drone2Map Agisoft)
– Holds a FAA Part 107, Airman Certificate, Remote Pilot
– Available for occasional travel related to projects
– Efficient engagement of all project participants to facilitate project outcomes
– Excellent communication skills