Postdoctoral Position in Water Quality and Resources
The Water Quality Laboratory at Kyungpook National University (KNU-WQL), Sangu Campus, offers a Postdoctoral Fellowship for highly motivated PhDs (up to 3 years: Jun/2020 ~ May/2023). The fellowship program is research based and require publishing of research results in reputed academic journals. A selected candidate will be involved in an NRF (National Research Foundation) funded research project. Annual salary will be in accordance with a standard postdoc position at universities in South Korea (~ 36,000,000 KRW before tax deduction). The initial contract term is one year, and the contract will be extended up to three years with some incentive, based on performance/publication evaluation.
Research Topic: The postdoctoral fellow will investigate the dynamics of biopolymers (EPS: extracellular polymeric substances; TEP: Transparent Extracellular Polymers), suspended particulate matter (SPM) and microplastics, in natural and engineered aquatic systems (e.g. river, lake, wastewater treatment plant). Specifically, the fellow will investigate EPS/TEP-mediated flocculation, sedimentation and deposition of SPM and microplastics in a natural and engineered aquatic system. The fellow will also join in international collaboration with KU Leuven, RBINS and Flanders Hydraulics in Belgium. The detailed research tasks are shown below:
- Development and application of analytical methods for quantifying EPS/TEP, OM and microplastics in water and sediment samples.
- Flocculation kinetic experiments for investigating physicochemical interactions and flocculation kinetics in aqueous suspension containing EPS, SPM and microplastics.
- Implementation of the flocculation kinetic model to a large-scale, multi-dimensional fate and transport model, such as TELEMAC and OpenFoam (in collaboration with other researchers)
- Field investigation on Hydrodynamic, Water Quality, and Fluid Mud dynamics (in collaboration with other researchers)
Expectation: The ideal candidate has:
- Strong Background in environmental engineering, specifically for aquatic chemistry, reaction kinetics and mathematical modelling
- Experiences in a laboratory, such as OM, EPS/TEP analysis, reactor operation, use of analytical instruments and so on
- Knowledge in hydrodynamics and sediment transport
- Academic writing skill, good enough to publish papers in reputed journals
Eligibility: Doctoral degree holding candidates with strong academic background from environmental, chemical, civil engineering, geology, limnology, chemistry or other related academic disciplines are encouraged to apply.
Find more information about Prof. Byung Joon Lee on the google scholar and researchgate websites.
How to apply
Candidates should send required documents (CV, copies of academic transcripts, list of publications) by email to Prof. Byung Joon Lee (firstname.lastname@example.org) with subject “Application for Postdoc Position @ KNU-WQL”. The deadline of application is 15/Jun/2020. IF your CV is found suitable, you will be contacted for further process and review.