Managing Editor – Water Resources IMPACT – Virtual Position
This position requires a leader with the ability to work independently, meet project timelines, and develop and maintain relationships with key internal and external stakeholders. You will bring extensive administration, editorial and operations experience related to the overall production of scientific publications and other material, as well as experience executing and delivering on the editorial strategy for Water Resources IMPACT magazine, as set by the IMPACT Advisory Board, Editor-in-Chief, Technical Editor, and American Water Resources Association (AWRA) Board of Directors.
About Water Resources IMPACT Magazine:
Consistently chosen by members as one of AWRA’s top benefits, Water Resources IMPACT is a practical, solutions-oriented digital magazine containing diverse and timely articles written for water resources professionals at all career levels. Designed to coincide with and promote specialty conferences and other AWRA activities, IMPACT is a bi-monthly collection of themed articles gathered by Guest Editors and based on the editorial calendar chosen by its Advisory Board.
This contracted position manages the day-to-day operations of IMPACT ,magazine from publication scheduling, topic identification, and content submission through publication to ensure the magazine is published on time while maintaining/exceeding established quality standards. This includes but is not limited to overseeing the Advisory Board, identifying guest editors, assist in solicitating content, securing article submissions, managing the review process, author notification, editing and proofing, and producing final content for design.
Responsible for working with the CEO, Editor-in-Chief, Technical Editor and relevant staff/volunteers to think strategically about the publication, the membership value proposition it holds, and support its growth in terms of reach, prestige and operational efficiencies.
Acts as principle liaison among the Advisory Board, guest editors, authors, and designer.
Organizes and attends meetings/teleconferences with the Advisory Board, Technical Editor, and others.
Communicates regularly with guest editors, authors, AWRA staff, designers, and others to ensure timely submission of articles and meet the distribution deadline.
Qualified candidates should possess:
· Minimum BS/BA degree in journalism, English or related field required.
· Minimum 5 years scholarly publishing/printing experience required. Experience with scientific publications preferred.
· Minimum 5 years’ experience in an editorial management role, leading, coaching and developing teams as well as setting policy and interacting with senior leaders.
· Must possess excellent copywriting and proofreading skills.
· Must be able to demonstrate excellent time management and organizational judgement, and skills that facilitate handling multiple priorities and concurrent projects
· Ability to develop and maintain excellent working relationships with all colleagues, both inside and outside of the AWRA.
· Ability to meet deadlines and produce an error-free publication that drives value for the AWRA membership.