Research Intern (Adaptation)
We are looking for a talented individual to work with us in the UAE Country Office / Green Growth Planning and Implementation (GGPI) division to assist in the development of the National Framework for Action on Climate Change Adaptation, which aims to identify the country’s short- and long-term priorities in addressing the impacts of climate change in critical sectors.
Following a memorandum of understanding signed with the UAE Ministry of Foreign Affairs, GGGI inaugurated its Middle East and North Africa (MENA) office in Abu Dhabi’s Masdar City on July 7, 2011. The GGGI UAE Office serves as a regional hub providing policy advice and capacity building support on climate change and sustainable development throughout the Middle East and North Africa. The GGGI UAE Office has assisted the Government of the UAE in developing the National Green Growth Strategy, UAE Green Agenda 2015-2030, National Climate Change Action Plan 2017-2050, and National Air Emission Inventory. Currently, the GGGI UAE Office is working closely with the Ministry of Climate Change and Environment (MOCCAE) in the areas of National Air Quality Strategy, Climate Change Adaptation Action Plan, Capacity building and Youth empowerment, Green/Sustainable Finance, and so on.
The intern’s assignment will include the following tasks, but not limited to:
- Conduct research in support of the development of adaptation action plans for public health, energy, infrastructure, environment, and risk insurance sectors.
- Support the comprehensive stocktaking of existing adaptation-related initiatives at the federal and emirate level.
- Synthesize regional and international benchmarks on strategic actions for climate change adaptation.
- Assist in the preparation of the stakeholder consultations and workshops including the drafting of questionnaires, preparation of meetings, and follow-up activities.
- Assist in writing, editing, and designing analytical reports and other technical materials.
- Participate in day-to-day operational tasks of the organization, such as servicing requests for information, support for developing presentations, etc.
- Completion of bachelor’s degree and/or currently enrolled in/ holding a master’s degree / PHD in one or more fields of economics, climate change, environmental management, international development, or any other relevant field.
- Communication: Ability to draft clearly and concisely, good written and oral language skills in English
- Teamwork: Good interpersonal skills, ability to work collaboratively with colleagues from different national and cultural backgrounds to achieve organizational goals
- Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be ‘clients’ and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view
- Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies and identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required
- Languages: English is the working language of GGGI at the UAE. Knowledge of Arabic is an asset.
Why be an intern at Global Green Growth Institute (GGGI)?
If you are thinking of entering the world of international organizations and green growth, an internship at GGGI could be the ideal start for you. The objective of the internship is to give you a first-hand experience of the day-to-day working at GGGI. The Internship Program is a project-oriented learning opportunity for undergraduate/graduate students to gain experience through research and analytical assignments based on GGGI’s current operational needs. GGGI welcomes motivated, open-minded, and self-directed individuals to apply. You will be given an opportunity to work directly with outstanding and inspiring professionals, participate in workshops and meetings, and contribute to analytical work as well as innovative rethinking on sustainable green growth. Interns will be selected based on merit.
Can you be a GGGI intern?
- Are you enrolled in a Master's or Ph.D. program, or in the final year of a Bachelor’s program?
- Or have you completed an undergraduate or graduate degree in the last 12 months?
- Or are you on a break between university and graduate school (gap year)?
- Do you have excellent command of English?
Things to keep in mind for interns
Duration: The internship program lasts for at least three months and can be as long as six months. Once selected, interns must begin your internship either prior to or within 12 months of graduation.
Cost: GGGI interns are paid USD$500 per month. All costs related to travel, insurance, accommodation, and living expenses must be borne by either the interns or their sponsoring institutions.
Travel: Interns will arrange and finance their travel to the internship location.
Medical insurance: Interns must present proof of valid medical insurance to GGGI.
Confidentiality: Interns must be discreet and keep confidential any and all unpublished information obtained during the course of the internship and may not publish any documents based on such information.
Academic Credit: Interns may get academic credit from their institution of higher education for the internship. Interns need to check with their university to confirm their academic credit policy for internships.
- Applications submitted after the deadline will not be considered.
- GGGI evaluates applications based on: eligibility requirements, relevance of academic study and work experience (if any); and the level of interest and motivation to contribute to development work.
- Due to high volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.