About WaterNow Alliance
WaterNow is a forum for local water leaders dedicated to sustainable, affordable and climate resilient water strategies. We focus on local decision makers, because 95% of water infrastructure spending occurs at the community level, and 87% of people nationwide are served by a public water utility. Our mission is to facilitate the transition to the new water future, bringing innovative solutions to scale. With offices in San Francisco’s Presidio community, WaterNow is an independent operating division of Multiplier, a nationally recognized nonprofit with a growing portfolio of innovative initiatives that conserve and protect a sustainable and resilient world (www.multiplier.org).
The Senior Water Resources Specialist position is a full-time position, reporting to the Executive Director. The Specialist is a core member of the WaterNow team, primarily responsible for development, coordination, and implementation of place-based initiatives demonstrating the viability of environmentally sustainable One Water management strategies and solutions — drinking water, wastewater and stormwater– including but not limited to; water use efficiency applications, green stormwater infrastructure, source water/watershed protection programs, reuse technologies, etc. The Specialist will run WaterNow’s established Project Accelerator which supports cities, towns and water resource agencies to jumpstart innovative and sustainable water projects, and oversee expansion of that initiative planned over the next year.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Manage the Project Accelerator, serve as WNA lead for approved projects; work directly with local utilities and municipalities on project design and implementation; develop, monitor and report on project budgets and project implementation plans.
- Develop and manage fee-for-service project contracts, including soliciting new projects.
- Build constructive relationships with key local contacts, water innovators, businesses and utility staff and management in developing and executing projects.
- Track project performance and analyze data.
- Pursue relevant state, federal and other resources to support programmatic goals and projects.
- Present and amplify WNA’s mission at conferences, seminars, and meetings.
- Plan, coordinate and lead stakeholder meetings, in-person briefings, and webinars.
- Serve as a thought partner with WNA leadership on overall planning and strategy related to project development; collaborate with the WNA team on integrated program initiatives and events; supervise and mentor WaterNow’s Project Manager who works closely with the Specialist on projects.
- Prepare periodic progress reports and annual evaluation of programmatic work.
- Assist with planning WNA’s annual Summit, including program development.
- Support funding proposals to sustain and grow WNA’s sustainable water project initiatives.
- 4-year college degree; master’s degree in water resource management or related field preferred.
- 5-10 years’ experience in water use efficiency, green stormwater infrastructure, energy efficiency, program administration and/or resource management fields, preferably working directly with sustainability programs in the corporate, investor, government, or NGO sectors.
- Technical experience working at or with utilities on water efficiency, demand management, water reuse, green stormwater infrastructure and/or related issues.
- Knowledge of current techniques, devices, practices, and institutional processes related to drinking water, wastewater and/or stormwater management.
- Demonstrated experience in relationship management, particularly engaging community leaders, landscape or building professionals, and water industry managers.
- Demonstrated experience managing and maintaining compliance with public and/or private grant obligations.
- Strong project management and organizational skills, excellent attention to detail.
- Excellent written communication skills.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team in a fast-paced environment.
- Sound judgment, sensitivity to diverse constituencies, excellent interpersonal skills, strong initiative and self-motivation.
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects from concept to completion on own momentum and with limited guidance.
- Successful candidates will have experience in:
- Administering contracts and agreements
- Budget management processes and systems
- Grant writing and reporting
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Salesforce, Zoom meetings and webinars, MacOS, and Google Suite. Experience with ArcGIS and web based project management applications (e.g. Asana) desired but not required.
- We recognize that each applicant for this role will bring unique skills, knowledge, experiences, and background to this position, lending his/her/their flair to the trajectory of WaterNow. We welcome diverse experiences and perspectives in our applicant pool, and will be especially looking for candidates who are passionate about the WNA mission and approach, and ideally have demonstrated interest in working in a not-for-profit environment.
- The Water Resources Specialist will be based at the WaterNow office in the heart of San Francisco’s Presidio. While there will be some initial remote work during the Bay Area’s shelter-in-place mandate, this will be an on-site role once the mandate is lifted.
Please provide a resume and cover letter that describes your interest in this position, your relevant qualifications and experience, your availability and your salary requirements. Please also submit a writing sample prepared entirely by you. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Applications can be sent to [email protected]. We’re a small team and politely request no follow-up calls or emails.
Multiplier and WaterNow Alliance celebrate diversity and are committed to building teams and partnerships that represent a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. Multiplier and WaterNow Alliance are also committed to providing an environment of mutual respect that is free from discrimination and harassment. Multiplier and WaterNow Alliance prohibit discrimination in their governance, programs and activities on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, political beliefs, reprisal, marital status, amnesty, status as a covered veteran, because all or part of an individual’s income is derived from public assistance, or for any other non-merit based factor.
WaterNow offers an attractive compensation and benefits package. The salary for this position begins at $76,000 and is negotiable commensurate with experience. Benefits package includes a 3% retirement match as well as health, dental, vision coverage and more.