Climate change and natural resources advisor
Chemonics seeks a qualified individual for the role of climate change and natural resources advisor for the anticipated five-year, £20-40 million DFID-funded Improving Pakistan’s Water and Natural Resources Governance (IPWG) programme. IPWG intends to strengthen Pakistan’s management of its water to meet future population, agricultural and economic needs, and provide resilience to shocks and climate change. Aligning with the Pakistan government’s forestry, water and agricultural management priorities, this programme aims to improve the management and use of water and natural resources so to prepare the country for sustained climate resilient growth. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
The Climate Change and Natural Resources Advisor will lead technical assistance that supports water data advocacy and research, climate change adaptation, and integrated natural resource management. Based in Islamabad, the advisor will provide technical support to improve the management and use of water and natural resources so to prepare the country for sustained climate resilient growth. The advisor will be responsible for:
Operational and technical leadership
- Act as a single focal point for climate change and natural resources management (NRM) technical support of the programme across all technical components for DFID and relevant ministries and stakeholders
- Keep abreast with national and international thinking on livelihood security and asset building in general and water and agriculture in particular
- Provide technical advice and adequate assistance to partners for the implementation of NRM and climate change components by leading analyses, interpretation , and reporting of data relevant to the assessment of the situation of women and children, persons with disabilities, climate change, vulnerable and marginalized groups including contributions to the IPWG research publications, and other reports as requested ad hoc by senior management, government counterparts, the client, partner organization and others in the areas of drinking water, sanitation and agriculture.
- Work closely with the MEL team to assist partner in the design and implementation of baseline data collection and information needs at country, province and sub district levels
- Work with the technical leads and other key personnel to promote a coherent and strategic vision with buy-in from DFID and counterparts and stakeholders
- Advise on efficient and effective ways to prepare and disseminate products and provide input into making data, analyses and products accessible and available through different media.
- Contribute to the capacity development of Pakistan to monitor water, agriculture and climate change challenges, in collaboration with national and provincial offices.
- Contribute to developing the capacity within government counterparts and civil society organizations for evidence-based policy, planning, programming and advocacy.
Administrative and financial management
- Facilitate project work planning and budgeting and assist with the staffing and resources to reach established results indicators and targets.
- Review draft consultant scopes of work prepared by the technical team or partner organizations and submit approval requests.
- Ensure consultants complete their assignments and submit deliverables in a timely manner
- Plan and track financial and administrative activities with the home and field offices to evaluate implementation needs
- Monitor project financial performance against work plan and life-of-project budgets
- Extensive knowledge of climate change and natural resources management, including one of the earth sciences; advanced training, preferably a higher degree, in statistics, land management, natural resource management, or climate change adaptation, or another area with advanced statistics, data manipulation and analysis skills; regional work experience preferred
- Technical knowledge in climate change/natural resources/land management statistics, sample surveys, data analysis or other areas of applied statistics, information systems and data interpretation and dissemination in sectors of concern to DFID
- Demonstratable knowledge of Pakistan climate and natural resources politics and networks, of DFID Climate, UN-Water, the 2030 Development Agenda (SDGs) and the Paris Agreement are required
- Relevant achievements in brokering and maintaining effective relationships with a wide range of stakeholders and developing and implementing strategies to foster change
- Experience working with the private sector and donors, preferably for the UK Government in DFID or FCO or other international donors
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity
- Fluency in English (speaking, writing, and reading) required; Pakistan nationals strongly preferred
If interested, please complete the application by attaching your CV and cover letter in the following link – Climate Change and Natural Resources Advisor IPWG by June 19th, 2020. Applications will be assessed on a rolling basis and shortlisted candidates will be contacted via email.
The protection of your personal data is important to Chemonics. If you are located in the European Union, please read our EU Recruiting Data Privacy Notice to learn how we process your personal data. The EU Recruiting Data Privacy Notice is available at: https://chemonics.com/eu-recruiting-data-privacy-notice/
Chemonics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.