Chemonics seeks an enabling environment and integrated resources advisor for the anticipated DFID Improving Pakistan’s Water and Natural Resources Governance programme. The programme will support the Pakistan government in strengthening the country’s management of its water to meet future population, agricultural, and economic needs and build resilience to shocks and climate change. Aligning with the Pakistan government’s forestry, water, and agricultural management priorities, the programme aims to improve management and use of water and natural resources to prepare the country for sustained climate resilient growth. The advisor will lead technical assistance that supports water data advocacy and research, climate change adaptation, and integrated natural resource management and provide technical support to improve management and use of water and natural resources to prepare the country for sustained climate resilient growth. Based in Islamabad, the advisor will drive overall strategy and supervise teams. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
Operational and technical leadership
- Act as a single focal point for enabling environment and integrated resources technical support of the programme across all technical components for DFID and relevant ministries and stakeholders
- Keep abreast with national and international thinking on livelihood security and asset building in general, as well as water and agriculture
- Support the project’s enabling environment for integrated water resource management component and team, including providing technical advisory services to develop practices, policies, and laws to incentivise water efficiency and enforce conservation measures in coordination with water sector entities such as the Ministry of Water and Power, Ministry of Climate Change, the National Drinking Water and Sanitation Committee, the Ministry of Health, and water utilities and across agricultural, municipal, and industrial water sector users. Lead the component and team in the absence of the component lead
- Provide technical advisory services to reduce non-revenue water through assistance to water utilities via development and implementation of procedures, outreach and educational campaigns, and regulations to improve cost recovery, determine the true cost of water, and educate the media in support of existing and new public water demand management initiatives in Pakistan
- Develop and coordinate activities such as training and capacity building, working groups, stakeholder engagement, and participatory planning to improve water conservation while ensuring the different needs and roles of men and women are assessed and integrated into all activities through equitable participation of men and women
- Provide technical advisory services to promote new technologies or behavior changes, in coordination with utilities or the private sector that will lead to water conservation
- Lead and coordinate analyses, studies, or study tours with the Pakistan government or private sector that help identify and build momentum for the promotion of improved technologies
- Provide technical advice on reporting on women and children, persons with disabilities, and vulnerable and marginalized groups as required, including responding to ad hoc requests to senior management, government counterparts, the client, partner organization, and others in the areas of drinking water, sanitation, and agriculture
- Contribute to capacity development of Pakistan to monitor water, agriculture, and climate change challenges, in collaboration with national and provincial offices
- Contribute to developing the capacity within government counterparts and civil society organizations for evidence-based policy, planning, programming, and advocacy
Administrative and financial management
- Facilitate project work planning and budgeting and assist with the staffing and resources to reach established results indicators and targets.
- Review draft consultant scopes of work prepared by the technical team or partner organizations and submit approval requests
- Ensure consultants complete their assignments and submit deliverables in a timely manner
- Plan and track financial and administrative activities with the home and field offices to evaluate implementation needs
- Monitor project financial performance against work plan and life-of-project budgets
- Extensive knowledge of climate change and natural resources management, including one of the earth sciences; advanced training, preferably an advanced degree, in statistics, land management, natural resource management, climate change adaptation, or another area with advanced statistics, data manipulation, and analysis; regional work experience preferred
- Technical knowledge in climate change/natural resources/land management statistics, sample surveys, data analysis, or other areas of applied statistics, information systems, and data interpretation and dissemination in sectors of concern to DFID
- Demonstrated knowledge of Pakistan climate and natural resources politics and networks, DFID Climate, UN-Water, 2030 Development Agenda (Sustainable Development Goals), and Paris Agreement required
- Relevant achievements in brokering and maintaining effective relationships with a wide range of stakeholders and developing and implementing strategies to foster change
- Experience working with the private sector and donors, preferably for the UK government in DFID or FCO or other international donors strongly preferred
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity
- Fluency in English (speaking, writing, and reading) required
- Pakistan nationals strongly preferred
Application Instructions: If interested, please complete the application by attaching your CV and cover letter in the following link – Enabling Environment and Integrated Resource Advisor IPWG by June 19th, 2020. Applications will be assessed on a rolling basis and shortlisted candidates will be contacted via email.
Chemonics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.
The protection of your personal data is important to Chemonics. If you are located in the European Union, please read our EU Recruiting Data Privacy Notice to learn how we process your personal data. The EU Recruiting Data Privacy Notice is available at: https://chemonics.com/eu-recruiting-data-privacy-notice/