Shelter & WASH Specialist
NRC has been present in DRC since 2001 and runs operations in the eastern provinces of North & South Kivu, Tanganyika, and Kasai, implementing Education, Livelihood and Food Security, WASH, Shelter, and ICLA.
The Country Office has been expanding steadily for the past two years and the team currently consists of around 400 staff members. The DR Congo's is one of NRC's largest Country Operations with an overall budget of approx. USD 30 Million.
The Country maintains a rapid, integrated emergency response capacity while also focusing on facilitating durable solutions to displacement. NRC is also implementing an innovative project on humanitarian mediation, piloting new approaches to improve the protection of civilians’ conflict prevention and mitigation.
The purpose of the Shelter and WASH core competency Specialist position is the technical development of the Shelter and WASH core compêtency strategic direction and quality assurance. The Shelter & WASH Specialist is responsible for mentoring, training, and capacity building of staff on Shelter and WASH technical and other aspects.
Duties and responsibilities
- Develop Shelter and WASH strategies, technical guidance and Macro LFAs;
- Compliance with and adherence to NRC policies, guidance, and procedures;
- Contribute to fundraising, develop and revise funding proposal, budgets and donor reports;
- Identify trends technical standards and donor priorities;
- Follow up on compliance with contractual commitments within ore compêtencies, ensure high technical quality and synergies in project implementation;
- Provide technical direction and project implementation support to the implementation team;
- Ensure that key learnings are extracted from program implementation, and incorporate them in CC and staff development processes;
- Provide systematic training and build the capacity of Shelter and WASH staff;
- Represent NRC in relevant forums/clusters, including with national authorities and donors;
- Promote the rights of IDPs/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy.
Generic professional competencies for this position
- Minimum 4 years of experience within a humanitarian/recovery context;
- Experience from working in complex and volatile contexts;
- Minimum 2 years of shelter and WASH expertise (as Specialist or Project Manager);
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities;
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile;
- Fluency in French, both written and verbal, is required
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal, is preferred
Context/Specific skills, knowledge and experience
- Knowledge of the DRC context;
- Experience with cash and markets as a modality
- Experience with Housing, Land and Property rights, specifically Security of Tenure
- Experience with modifying programs based on learning and M&E data;
- Experience with strengthening quality in programming, including protection mainstreaming
- Experience in team capacity building;
- Advanced computer skills, especially in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Handling insecure environments
- Strategic thinking
- Empowering and building trust
- Initiate action and change
We can offer
For more information regarding this role, please click on the link Job Description
Commencement: August 2020
Duration: 12 months
Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions and free housing of moderate standard.
Grade 9 in the NRC grade structure (see attached)
Duty station: Goma with 40% Travel to the field, Goma is a non-family posting. International staff members are required to live in joint accommodation.
NRC may be required to verify that our employees are not involved in illegal activity. NRC reserves the right to use electronic screening tools for this purpose.
Application procedures and CV registration: Please note that you are required to enter the geographical location for all your previous positions while registering your CV. There is no specific field for this information in our CV form, but you can use the "Company name" field for both company and location