The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfilment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
About the job:
The WASH Assistant will work within Tripoli area. The Assistant is in-charge of the implementation of distribution of NFI’s and perform Hygiene Promotion activities in the sites or collective shelter under DRC management in Tripoli under the supervision of WASH Team Leader. The Assistant will be also in charge in monitoring community’s hygienic behavior and maintenance of water points including pumps, latrine (HH and institutional), drainage and solid waste management facilities as well as participating all kind of assessments and data collections. The WASH Assistant will finally be responsible in supporting any emergency response.
- Assist in WASH assessments and engage with the community to create an essential understanding of perceptions, needs, coping mechanisms, capacities, existing norms, leadership structures and priorities.
- Assist in the identification of the essential hygiene items that individuals, households and communities need. Assist in distribution of essential items either by door to door distribution or open area mass distribution following distribution guidelines. It is highlighted that is expected that candidates will be working in a Covid-19 response environment.
- Facilitating formation of community group and strengthening of the existing structures such as WASH Committees through trainings, sensitization workshops and other hygiene promotion awareness campaigns
- Be responsible for community mobilization of safe water, sanitation, and hygiene practices.
- Support the mobilization and participation of those assisted at site level, with particular emphasis on meaningful inclusion of women, children, elderly and persons with specific needs into the decision-making processes.
- Organize and conduct hygiene sessions with the participation of different groups as well as conduct hygiene campaign with the participation of all classes of community people for improving the hygiene practices and proper operation and maintenance of the installed facilities.
- Assist WASH Team Leader in developing distribution and hygiene promotion workplans
- Ensure efficient and effective program implementation while following the work plan.
- Actively participate in internal coordination meeting. Support the development of DRC standard operating procedures as well as other strategic documents.
- Ensure integration of WASH activities with other DRC sectors
- Other tasks as requested
- Ensure that quality and acurate reports and supporting documentation on program activities are submitted timely and on a daily basis to the WASH Officer. To this end, ensure that both the hard and soft copies of all activity reports are archived on the server and/or uploaded onto online platforms for information management as relevant
- Ensure that all information or data shared is done so in a manner that upholds the principle of data protection and confidentiality.
- Representation and coordination:
- Support the development of positive relationships with beneficiaries, local communities, local authorities, humanitarian partners, service providers etc. to maintain trust in DRC’s professional standard and quality of work among all stakeholders.
- Ensure that all interactions with individual beneficiaries take place in an environment and in a way that respect and promotes their safety, trust and dignity. Ensure that all interactions with other stakeholders such as community members and service providers are conducted in accordance to the principles of respect, confidentiality and collaboration.
- At least 1 (one) year practical experiences in community mobilization for the promotion of hygiene and health.
- Applicants having experience of working in WASH program at community level and experience in community mobilization will be preferred.
- Knowledge of Hygiene Promotion Approaches is an asset
- Commitment to working with Humanitarian organization.
- Willingness to be based in the field.
- Willingness to work in a Covid-19 Response Environment
We are also expecting:
- Public Health Diploma is an asset.
- Fluency in written and spoken Arabic.
- Basic knowledge written and spoken English is an asset
- Basic knowledge of French is an asset
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.
Contract length: 6 months
Designation of Duty Station: Tripoli, Libya.
Suggested start Date: 01 July 2020
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 15 June 2020.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visitdrc.ngo/jobsupport.