The Department of Geo Information Processing (GIP) is a vibrant, multi-disciplinary scientific team, specializing in methods and techniques for processing (acquiring, organizing, analysing) spatio-temporal data and information, and in building tools (models, information systems and visualizations) that improve our understanding of complex and dynamic spatial systems and help in decision-making at multiple spatial and temporal scales.
The Digital Revolution has made massive amounts of heterogeneous geodata available at unprecedented spatial, temporal, and thematic scales. Hence, for many applications, data scarcity has been replaced by a data deluge, requiring the development of robust and scalable methods to handle these novel datasets. Therefore, we look for an assistant professor to initiate, carry out, and participate in research, education, and consultancy activities related to the use of Big Geodata technologies to process massive and heterogeneous geospatial datasets. In addition, you will expand and integrate the existing (geo)computational skills within the GIP department and collaborate with the recently created faculty-wide centre on Big Geodata. You will teach Master-level coursework and contribute to the development of new courses including face-to-face, blended learning, and distance learning. You will supervise MSc and PhD research, in combination with more senior colleagues, and a departmental professor. Further, you will engage in acquisition and implementation of research, consultancy and capacity development projects.
- You possess a PhD in geographic information, geodata science, (geo)informatics or a closely related field.
- You are proficient in the use of open source software for handling geospatial data, including the creation of local and distributed/cloud-based analytical workflows.
- You have demonstrated experience in the use of machine learning and data mining approaches in the context of geographical applications.
- You have a solid portfolio of high-quality academic outputs (publications, code, etc.)
- You have an aptitude for teaching, including lecturing and tutoring at an academic level.
- You have acquired or will work on acquiring external funds (projects) that support GIP’s mission.
- You are committed to contribute to ITC’s mission on international capacity development and institutional strengthening.
- You have an excellent command of English. Knowledge of or willingness to learn Dutch is an advantage.
INFORMATION AND APPLICATION
Please submit your application before 21 June 2020 (choose “apply now” below). Your application has to include (i) a motivation letter clearly stating how you meet the selection criteria and also outlining your research and teaching interests and (ii) a detailed CV with three references.
We offer an inspiring and challenging international environment. You will be initially employed for four years. Extension of the employment after this period is a possibility.
- Gross monthly salary between € 3,637.- and € 5,656.- (depending on experience and qualifications, job profile Assistant Professor level 1 or 2).
- A holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8.3%
- Excellent support for research and facilities for professional and personal development.
- A solid pension scheme
- Minimum of 41 holiday days in case of fulltime employment
- Possibilities to save up holidays for sabbatical leave
The University of Twente. We stand for life sciences and technology. High tech and human touch. Education and research that matter. New technology which leads change, innovation and progress in society. The University of Twente is the only campus university of the Netherlands; divided over five faculties we provide more than fifty educational programmes. We have a strong focus on personal development and talented researchers are given scope for carrying out groundbreaking research.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status. Because of our diversity values we do particularly support women to apply.
The Faculty of Geo-Information Science and Earth Observation (ITC) of the University of Twente provides international postgraduate education, research and project services in the field of geo-information science and earth observation using remote sensing and GIS. The aim of ITC’s activities is the international exchange of knowledge, focusing on capacity building and institutional development in developing countries and emerging economies.