Consultant in our Water & Sanitation Department
2 year contract with the option to be extended
Application by: ASAP
GFA Consulting Group is one of the leading German consulting companies within the framework of international development cooperation. Our core business is providing consulting services as well as managing projects financed through bilateral and multilateral funds. Since 1982, GFA has been active in more than 130 countries. Over the years, the company has continuously expanded the scope of its work, which currently includes eleven strategic business areas.
In the Water & Sanitation Department we focus on consultancy services related to development projects aiming at pro-poor water and sanitation access,
capacity development and training for utility management. For our head office in Hamburg/Germany, we are currently looking for an open-minded and versatile Consultant (m/f) to join our Water & Sanitation Department, who will contribute towards achieving the company’s objectives.
The W&S consultant will be responsible for project management, acquisition and strategic business development in water & sanitation with a particular
focus on the fields of pro-poor water and sanitation access, capacity development and training for utility management, funds management for W&S
investments. The duty station will be Hamburg, with frequent travel to developing countries (e.g. to Sub-Saharan Africa, the Balkans, Eastern Europe and Asia).
Key responsibilities will include:
- Leading the acquisition process of new projects, including elaboration and coordination of technical and financial proposals;
- Establishing and maintaining regular professional contacts and networking with clients, partners and sector experts;
- Responsible management of projects and studies (backstopping), on-site and Hamburg-based;
- Conducting technical short-term consultancy missions, including participation in feasibility and project preparatory studies;
- Writing of reports, concepts and presentations as well as contributing to knowledge and quality management, including GFA publications;
- Representation of GFA in conferences and seminars;
- Supporting on-the-job-training of our Young Professionals.
- University degree (Master) in a relevant area (e.g. hydraulic engineering, environmental engineering, economics);
- At least 5 years of relevant experience in the context of the water supply and sanitation sector, water sector reform, capacity development of water sector stakeholders, preferably related to development cooperation;
- Full proficiency in written and spoken German, French and English, (working knowledge of Portuguese is an additional asset);
- Familiarity with the German (GIZ, KfW) and European development sector (e.g. EuropeAid, EBRD, EIB) and a well-founded understanding of the strategies and programs of the relevant donor agencies will be an asset;
- Strong writing, communication and presentation skills;
- Advanced proficiency in standard MS Office applications;
- Willingness to frequently travel abroad;
- Ability to manage complex situations with a sense of pragmatism;
- Intercultural competence.
- Interested candidates should send their complete application (cover letter, CV, work references / certificates).
Contact Person: Theda Matthiesen
Contact: [email protected]