Programme Manager (PM) (Multisector (Health, Nutrition, WaSH and Protection))
Mid-Level (5-7 Years)
Bachelor's (Or Equivalent)
Please note: this job post has expired! To the best of our knowledge, this job is no longer available and this page remains here for archival purposes only.
General context of the project
General context of the project
- Since 2009, the Boko Haram insurgency has crippled north eastern Nigeria. Borno State continues to be most affected, with over 1.8 million internally displaced persons (IDPs). Recent advances by the Nigerian Army and the Multinational Joint Task Force have improved humanitarian access in 22 of the 27 Local Government Areas (LGAs) in Borno, but have also revealed the extent of the crisis. In newly accessible areas, basic infrastructure has been destroyed, essential services are non-existent, and most local governance systems are not functional.
- As an implementing partner to USAID-OFDA, INTERSOS has been active in Borno State since 2017, in particular: - Bama, Dikwa, Ngala, Magumeri and Monguno Local Government Areas (LGAs), to address the unmet needs of the most vulnerable in these locations because the situation is continuing to worsen. INTERSOS is presently implementing the third round of USAID-OFDA funded a project titled “Provision of Emergency Health Care, Nutrition, Protection and WaSH Services, for people affected by the ongoing crisis in Ngala, Bama, Dikwa, Magumeri and Monguno LGAs, Borno State, Northeast Nigeria” that supports at least 213,183 most vulnerable children, women, and individuals affected by the ongoing crisis, across those five LGAs in Borno State. The support is through provision of integrated multisectoral lifesaving services and basic essential needs under health, nutrition, WaSH and protection sectors. INTERSOS is already in discussions with USAID-OFDA for possibility of fourth round funding of this grant.
- As part of COVID-19 response, INTERSOS is anticipating to receive another 12 months grant from USAID-OFDA for a project entitled “WaSH in Health and Protection Scale-up to Stop and Prevent Covid Transmission among Disaster-Affected People in Bama LGA (Local Government Area), Borno State, Northeast Nigeria’’ that will be implemented specifically in Bama.
- In addition, INTERSOS is implementing two other nutrition/ health projects funded by UNOCHA and Stichting Vluchteling (SV).
- INTERSOS is seeking to hire a Program Manager to provide overall management of the integrated multisectoral country program, including leading in design, quality implementation, monitoring, accountability, and reporting of these projects.
General purpose of the position
OVERALL PURPOSE OF POSITION:
- To provide full managerial and technical leadership and responsibility for the operational planning, implementation, monitoring, accountability and reporting -- including procurement, selection of staff, and financial supervision of expenditures against target activities.
- S/he will support training and will supervise all the activities in the field locations.
- S/he is responsible of regular donor reporting and attends technical coordination meetings, the incumbent work under overall supervision of the Country Programmes Coordinator, and very close liaison with the Medical Coordinator, Protection Coordinator and WaSH Coordinator for technical support.
- S/he will need to co-ordinate effectively with logistics, human resources, finance, security, and the MEAL departments to ensure that field operations are implemented with least possible interruptions.
Main responsibilities and tasks
Main Responsibilities and Tasks
- The PM manages, coordinates and supervises the projects staff for the operational planning of activities and services, ensuring timely and quality implementation and monitoring in compliance with relevant Standard Operating Procedures, International Principles and Guidelines as well as INTERSOS Fundamental Charter and Code of Ethics.
- Planning, coordinating, monitoring and evaluating the implementation of the multisectoral projects, ensuring timely and quality delivery of services as per approved proposals, work plans and budgets.
- Ensure, in line with INTERSOS internal rules and regulations, donor regulations and international humanitarian standard (such as SPHERE) the management of the projects
- Conduct regular field visits to assess program quality and progress toward objectives, facilitate collective problem solving with staff and other stakeholders to address challenges
- Monitoring financial supervision of expenditures an appropriate budget management
- Coordinating with the finance and logistic department to procure material necessary for the implementation of the activities in a timely manner to ensure adequate supply at the intervention sites
- Plan and distribute tasks and workload among the teams, guiding their understanding of the issues linked to the Project and the Mission through regular working meetings and feedback, in order to ensure an efficient deployment of the resources and the achievement of the expected goals
- Inform the field team on the instructions given by the capital promoting fluent, smooth written and oral communication and information flow and ensuring confidentiality and full compliance with security rules and medical ethics
- Supervise the projects material resources put at INTERSOS ’s disposition in order to ensure a correct use and its longevity
- Supervise all orders (medical and logistical) and the Project’s purchases as well as the financial indicators, with the support of the capital referents, in order ensure efficiency, adequate supply at the intervention sites and early detect deviations and its causes.
- Ensure appropriate budget management
- Monitor the risks and threats around the project(s), documenting the situation and analyzing the consequences of political decisions or negotiations in course
- Proactively participate in relevant technical coordination meetings and working groups.
- Support the mission in designing high quality projects that integrate WaSH, health, nutrition and protection.
- Provide technical supervision and guidance to medical team, both for the Mobile Team and the staff in the static facilities.
- Be responsible of the proper application of HR policies and associated processes (recruitment, training, briefing/debriefing, evaluation, potential, detection, staff’s development and