Minimum age: 25 years old. Nationals of the country of assignment are not eligible, except the assignments in Headquarters duty stations.
Under the direct supervision of the Water & Sanitation Unit Head and overall supervision of the Chief Engineering and Facilities Maintenance and Management Section, the Water and Wastewater Quality Analyst UN Volunteer will undertake the following tasks:
- Carrying out water quality surveillance;
- Carrying out water quality analysis to ensure continuous supply of water that meet WHO Drinking Water Quality Guidelines
- Prepare water & wastewater quality monitoring schedules,
- Conduct on-site water & wastewater sampling and quality testing
- Carry out detailed laboratory analysis for physical, chemical and micro-bacteriological quality parameters, preparing reports on the status of the water quality and providing recommendations to the water treatment plant operators.
- Ensure proper update of the database on the water quality surveillance.
- Carry out training to AMISOM and UNSOS Personnel on water quality testing and analysis, equipment maintenance, record keeping and process control of water treatment.
- Carrying out wastewater quality surveillance to ensure quality confirm to environmental standard and acceptable levels for reuse in watering plants, flushing toilets, firefighting, washing vehicles, construction and dust control
- Conduct advanced wastewater quality analysis including but not limited to Cholera Vibrios and other enteric pathogens
- Carrying out operation and first level maintenance of laboratory equipment for ensuring their proper operation.
- Carry out process control of the drinking water and wastewater treatment
- Provide monitoring and quality control for disposal of hazardous materials and liquid waste in an acceptable environment standard.
- Prepare annually laboratory equipment and chemical requirement for acquisition planning and replenishment
- Travel to front locations and conduct on site water and wastewater quality analysis as a routine support to TCC (troop) and PCC (police contributing country).
- Prepare water quality analysis report on weekly, monthly basis and whenever required.
B.Sc. in Chemistry, Micro-Biology, Chemical Engineering or equivalent field with relevant work experience
At least five (5) years of working experience in Vibrios as well as other enteric pathogens, physical, chemical and microbiological quality analysis. Experience with standard techniques and practices for operation and maintenance of various types of water and wastewater laboratory instruments and preparation of reagents.
- English(Mandatory), Level – Fluent
Accountability, Adaptability and Flexibility, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Integrity, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Working in Teams
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply.
Application deadline: 14-06-2020