Department Manager (Water/Wastewater)
WHO WE ARE
Supported by more than 3,000 employees in nearly 100 locations across the United States, we provide a full continuum of engineering and consulting services, including design, planning, architectural, environmental, construction and program management. Our clients include U.S. federal, state and municipal governments, foreign allied governments, and a wide range of commercial clients. Michael Baker is committed to delivering a standard of excellence that fosters a culture of innovation, collaboration and technological advancement to help solve our clients' complex challenges.
Michael Baker International’s Water Group provides innovative consulting, planning and engineering solutions for the entire spectrum of the water cycle. We have proven experience in providing a full range of professional services from scientific and technical analysis, concept through design, and construction support services. Protection and management of water resources starts at the watershed level and follows the movement of water through urban and agricultural areas, streams, lakes and reservoirs, water distribution systems, wastewater collection systems, and water/wastewater treatment plants.
Michael Baker is actively seeking an experienced Water/Wastewater Department Manager to join our team. You’ll be a part of our team of talented engineers working on a variety of water, wastewater and municipal infrastructure projects that include planning, design, engineering and construction support, with a focus on pipelines, pump stations, metering/flow control facilities, storage tanks, utility relocations, etc. The Department Manager will lead efforts in business development and direct engineers and designers in planning, design and construction of Water and Wastewater infrastructure. You also will also have responsibility for preparation and management of task scopes and fees, budgets, schedules, and quality deliverables. As a Department Manager, you will be responsible for the following:
- Leading a team of engineers and designers performing various tasks from developing hydraulic models to preparing design plans, specifications, cost estimates, and performing/directing data collection and field investigations.
- Attend and actively participate in client marketing activities, including serving as client manager for various local clients, representing the firm at project meetings, attending conferences and/or engineering society functions, lead and/or assist in identifying new opportunities, and assist with development of marketing proposals for project pursuits.
- Oversee the preparation of hydraulic modeling efforts, calculations, modeling, and preparation of technical memoranda and/or preliminary engineering reports, exhibits and design drawings for design projects.
- Oversee preparation of design drawings, specifications and associated tasks with other project discipline team leaders, subconsultants
- Supervise and develop talent of engineers within your department.
- 15 plus years of increasingly responsible experience in engineering design and project management.
- Possess a B.S. degree in Civil or Environmental Engineering, or related field. Advanced engineering degree is a plus.
- Possess excellent external and internal, oral and written communication skills.
- Know the Northern Virginia municipal water and sewer market.
- Exercise strong engineering judgment and have a solid background in water/wastewater projects.
- Be a self-starter, versatile and capable of leading design efforts for multiple concurrent projects.
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite, including Word, Outlook, Project, Excel and PowerPoint, and Oracle-based Project Financial Reporting System is required.
- Professional Engineer (PE) licensed in the State of Virginia, or ability to obtain a reciprocal Virginia P.E. license immediately.
MICHAEL BAKER INTERNATIONAL EEO STATEMENT
Michael Baker International is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Michael Baker International provides equal employment opportunity for all persons, in all facets of employment. Michael Baker International maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply for any open position for which they feel they are qualified and all will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship status, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status or any other legally protected status.