Position: Water Quality Specialist (Native Preference Applies)
Location: Cahuilla Indian Reservation, Anza, CA 92539
Reports to: Environmental Manager
The WQS will work to protect the Cahuilla Band of Indians (Tribe’s) surface and groundwater resources through water quality monitoring, water level measuring, habitat restoration, and educational outreach activities. This position is funded through Tribal Funding to address water pollution issues on the Cahuilla Reservation. It will be the WQS’s responsibility to meet Tribal Goals and objectives.
II. Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Take water samples & water measurements in various environments of the Cahuilla Reservation, including wetlands, private wells, and in rough terrain.
- Be familiar with EPA water quality regulations and standards
- Think logically and creatively about implementing projects from start to finish, including predicting possible obstacles and troubleshooting their solutions.
- Become a Certified Water Operator within One Year
- Once hired, the WQS must become familiar with EPA water quality regulations and standards.
- Attend Workshops, Trainings, and Meetings with Tribal, Federal, and State Agencies and other Stakeholders to develop capacity to address tribal water quality and environmental issues
- Become familiar with provisions of the Clean Water Act (Section 106 and Section 319) and Safe Drinking Water Act through online training, conferences, and workshops
- Collect and evaluate chemical, biological, and physical water quality parameters for groundwater sites on the Cahuilla Reservation
- Update additional data regarding the watershed that includes water sampling sites and possible sources of pollution. Show how these sources might be impacting water quality
III. Preferred Qualifications / Requirements
- Bachelors of Science degree in Environmental or Earth Science, Social Ecology, Urban Planning, Natural Resources; or
- An A.S. / A.A. in Environmental Studies or related field and five years’ experience
- Basic knowledge of current local research methods and field application of archaeological principles; basic knowledge of federal, state, local and tribal legislation pertaining to cultural resources
IV. Required Minimum Qualifications
- High School Diploma or G.E.D.
- Three (3) years’ work experience in similar / like field
- Pass a mandatory drug / background screening
- Be computer literate with knowledge of Microsoft Office Software
- Proficient typing, writing, and verbal communication ability
- Be insurable on the Tribe’s insurance
- Be able to think logically and creatively
V. Working Conditions and Demands
The WQS will be asked to perform field work in all types of weather conditions. The WQS should be in good health, able to walk long distances, and take water samples and water measurements in various environments of the Cahuilla Reservation including wetlands, private wells, and rough terrain.
Job Type: Full-time
- Store Discounts
- One location
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off