Desired start date: 01/07/2020
Duration of the mission: 6 months
Location: Position based in Bardarash
The SI mission has been opened in February 2017, with emphasis on the Mosul response. The mission in composed of one Coordination in Erbil (5 expatriates and 8 national staff), one operational base in Mosul (1 expatriate and 23 national staff), and one new base in Bardarash (1 expatriate and 6 national staff). Regarding the evolution of the context, the mission will aim at keeping an early recovery WaSH component with ongoing research for development of new areas in line with the shift of context that entail wave of return movements to newly secured area. Simultaneously, as some camp will remain at less until 2020, being a key actor in wash in camps is a process already launched through the consortia.
SI is planning to open a new base in Bardarash and currently the mission is implementing one Wash project in Bardarash camp: water supply, network rehabilitation, maintenance, sanitation and Hygiene.
About the job
- The program manager is in charge of implementing and achieving the objectives defined in the proposals.
- He/she is in charge of supervising the operational teams allocated to his/her program.
- He/she guarantees the proper execution and the quality of the implemented program and, if applicable, suggests adjustments or developments to ensure its relevance.
Specific stakes and challenges
- Internal coordination of two complementary project
- External coordination with camp management, HCR and other potential actors in Wash and potentially health
Priorities for the 2/3 first months:
- implementation and coordination: identification of priorities in terms of implementation, clear vision of which activities is covered by which budget (CDC or PRM)
- contribute to the set up and the team management in a post covid environment / resuming of activities with potentially the opening of new base
- PM will work under the direct management of the CD
- PM will manage a team of 3 staffs
- WASH engineer (diploma)
- A minimum of 3 years of experience with INGO working in the sector of WASH
- Experience in WASH in emergency is a plus
- Middle East experience an added value, specifically with regards to dealing with local authorities
- Comfortable with logistic procedure and budget follow-up
- English written and spoken/Arabic is an asset
SI will offer you
A salaried position: starting from 1980 euros gross per month (including 10% annual leave allowance paid monthly) and a monthly per diem of 750 USD a month. Please note that salary is not negotiable with SI.
Vacation: During the assignment, a system of alternation between work and time off is implemented at the rate of on 7 working days every three months. For a one-year assignment, the expatriate will have a 7 working days break at 3/6 and 9 month (with 850 USD allocated by SI). To these break periods, it is necessary to add the granting of 1 additional rest day per month worked (i.e. 12 days in addition for a 1-year contract)
Social and medical cover: Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
- Erbil security situation is stable, however the situation is prone to changes due to the political situation. Though the living environment in Erbil feels safe, there are still risks, including the risk of car accidents, robbery/theft and sexual harassment (in particular from taxi drivers to female expats). The major risks currently are from ‘wrong time, wrong place’ incidents, such as small arms fire resulting from personal disputes. There is no curfew in Erbil.
- Bardarash, Dohuk are locations under the control of KRI forces. The security is stable. No major security issues to mentioned. Erbil and those locations can be reached with a maximum of 2h.
- Security in Mosul city is volatile, but relatively stable day-to-day and is a permissible operating environment for NGOs. This security situation can deteriorate rapidly within the city so strong security processes remain in place and the context is constantly monitored. There is a large presence of armed actors who control different areas (various PMU factions, Iraqi Army, Police etc) which remains a risk for power struggles and security incidents.
Key information about living conditions
Good living conditions in Erbil: individual rooms, fully equipped guest house and office, possibility to walk in the neighborhood, lots of restaurant, no curfew. Nevertheless, movements by foot for female staff alone at night are not allowed due to risks of harassment, dedicated transportation means are identified.
For Bardarash security assessment to be done. Generally, the situation is the same than in Erbil.
Does this description fit you? Please send us your CV and Cover letter in English. CV only applications will not be considered.
NB: The vacancy may close before the deadline. Thank you for your comprehension