Green Growth and Natural Capital Research Consultant
Result of Service
The GGKP research programme, in particular the activities of the GGKP Natural Capital Expert Group, will be successfully delivered by synthesizing knowledge in order to support in-country applications and institutional mainstreaming of the natural capital approach in green growth planning. Completion of this consultancy will serve GGKP partner organizations in advancing research and outreach for nature-based green growth.
The contract is for a total of 12 months at 100%, starting on 1 June 2020 and expiring on 31 May 2021.
Duties and Responsibilities
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the United Nations system’s designated entity for addressing environmental issues at the global and regional level. Its mandate is to coordinate the development of environmental policy consensus by keeping the global environment under review and bringing emerging issues to the attention of governments and the international community for action.
The Green Growth Knowledge Platform (GGKP) is hosted by UNEP, in partnership with the Global Green Growth Institute (GGGI). These organizations serve as the joint host of the GGKP Secretariat (www.greengrowthknowledge.org) on behalf of the GGKP Steering Committee (UNEP, GGGI, the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), the United Nations Industrial Development Organization, and the World Bank). The GGKP is a global network of nearly 70 international organizations, research institutes, and think tanks focused on promoting a green economy transition by:
• identifying major knowledge gaps in green growth theory and practice and addressing these gaps through the promotion of collaboration and coordinated research; and
• using world-class knowledge management and communication tools to provide practitioners, policymakers, and other experts with opportunities to access, share, and utilize green growth policy analysis, guidance, information, and data.
The GGKP aims to achieve these objectives, in part, through collaborative working groups, which bring one senior-level representative each from key institutions working on green growth together with external experts. GGKP’s expert working groups are mandated to identify gaps in green growth knowledge and data and to collaborate in filling those gaps by stimulating a broader research agenda.
A consultant is sought to provide substantive and programmatic support to the GGKP research programme and, particularly, the Natural Capital Expert Group. This will include research into and assessment of green growth and natural capital metrics, methods, data and tools as well as institutions and experts active in green growth and natural capital research, policy, infrastructure and finance. Targeted support will be needed for GGKP partner institutions including the OECD and African Development Bank.
Specific tasks and responsibilities
To produce the above outputs, the consultant will engage in the following activities:
• Producing one 2020-21 project workplan for mainstreaming natural capital in African development finance, responding to the Covid-19 delays
• Developing one annual progress report relating to the activities of the GGKP Natural Capital Expert Group
• Drafting one research document and one meeting summary prepared for the summer quarterly meeting of the GGKP Natural Capital Expert Group in support of steering 2020-21 activities
• Delivering one issue paper on integrating natural capital in African development finance
• Researching one landscape document on an emerging new green growth theme mapping leading international actors, projects, and literature, and providing draft recommendations for GGKP resource mobilization
• Preparing one research document in support of the OECD Green Growth and Sustainable Development Forum and GGKP Natural Capital Expert Group meetings in November
• Drafting one research document and one meeting summary prepared in support of the OECD Working Party on Environmental Information in December, and one meeting summary capturing the substance and action items deriving from the OECD Green Growth and Sustainable Development Forum and GGKP Natural Capital Expert Group meeting in November
• Developing and finalizing one updated 2021 resource mobilization calendar for the GGKP Secretariat, and one news article and one expert “GGKP Insights” blog on 2020 progress of the GGKP Natural Capital Expert Group
• Preparing one research document in support of the GGKP Annual Conference, Partnership for Action on Green Economy (PAGE) Ministerial Conference and GGKP Natural Capital Expert Group meetings in Abu Dhabi in March
• Delivering one set of natural capital data evaluating the AfDB-supported project in East Africa
• Developing and finalizing one concept note, one meeting summary, and one news article published online, capturing the substance and next steps for mainstreaming natural capital in green economy deriving from the GGKP Annual Conference, Partnership for Action on Green Economy (PAGE) Ministerial Conference and GGKP Natural Capital Expert Group meetings in Abu Dhabi in March
• Developing one synthesis document on the GGKP natural capital measurement work to date applicable to the OECD green growth and/or environmental performance programs
Skills: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match the targeted audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed; sensitivity to international diversity, including different cultural, religious, personal, and political values.
Academic Qualifications: Master’s or higher degree in environmental economics or a related field is required. Understanding of green growth and natural capital research, concepts, initiatives and tools is required.
Experience: A minimum of 3 years’ experience in environmental economics or a related field is required. Experience in a development finance institution or international organization is a plus.
Language: English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an asset.