An independent, global think tank, working for a sustainable
and peaceful world in which every person thrives.
ODI is an independent, global think tank, working for a sustainable and peaceful world in which every person thrives. We harness the power of evidence and ideas through research and partnership to confront challenges, develop solutions and create change.
We are looking for a dynamic Senior Communications Officer to increase the impact of our research and policy engagement on risk through the design, coordination and delivery of strategic communications and public affairs activities.
The postholder will work primarily with ODI’s Global Risks and Resilience (GRR) programme, which looks at the nexus between new and emerging threats – from climate change to pandemics – to understand the impacts on poverty, development and the required policy responses. The postholder will also support the Climate Ambition Support Alliance (CASA), which aims to increase the capacity and capability of climate-vulnerable country negotiators to engage in international negotiations.
Beyond GRR and CASA, the postholder will work across ODI to enhance the work of the Public Affairs and Communications (PAC) team and to ensure that ODI’s PAC engagement on risk is strategic, creative and coordinated.
Key responsibilities include:
- Work with the GRR Director to develop and implement a strategic communications strategy for ODI’s work on risk
- Plan and coordinate public affairs activities to strengthen ODI’s engagement on risk at critical policy influencing moments (including international events)
- Project and task-manage the delivery of key outputs and activities to agreed deadlines and budget parameters
- Build and maintain strong internal and external relationships on relevant themes to drive impact, coordinate common agendas and harness opportunities for policy influence
- Work with GRR and PAC colleagues on short-turnaround needs (such as updating the ODI website, media and blogs) and contribute effectively to PAC activities more widely
- Work with colleagues to deliver effective communications for the Climate Ambition Support Alliance (casaclimate.org) and support PAC activities more broadly
You’ll have Knowledge of research areas covered by the Global Risks & Resilience programme, including key debates, developments and policy processes and key actors. You’ll have significant experience in strategic communications – working creatively to inform/influence policy outcomes. You’ll be adept at convening, with proven experience managing activities and events. You’ll have excellent writing skills, including a demonstrable ability to summarise technical research in clear, compelling language. You are a natural self-starter – able to generate plans and ideas and carry them through to completion. And your excellent interpersonal skills enable you to work collegially with researchers and partners across different cultures and all levels of seniority.
Closing date: 10 June 2020
Interview date: Week commencing 15 June 2020
Please note ODI has a legal responsibility to ensure that all its employees have the right to live and work in the UK. Therefore, if you are made an offer of employment, this will be subject to us verifying that you are eligible to work in the UK before you start work.
For more information, please download an application pack here. If you are experiencing difficulties downloading, please telephone 020 7922 8234 or email [email protected].