Sector Leader Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH)
SNV is a not-for-profit international development organisation that applies practical knowledge to make a lasting difference in the lives of people living in poverty. We use our extensive and long-term in-country presence to apply and adapt our top-notch expertise in agriculture, energy and WASH to local contexts. SNV has over 1250 staff in more than 25 countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. We are proud to be a not-for-profit organisation that uses project financing to implement our mission. This requires us to work efficiently and to invest in operational excellence.
In its new Strategic Plan period (2019 – 2022), SNV will more explicitly aim for structural change and scale in its programmes, as well as bringing knowledge and initiatives from different programmes together at country level to contribute to systems’ change. We will continue to position ourselves as a learning organisation striving for excellence and invest in making knowledge flow to and from the frontline. For more information on SNV, visit our website: www.snv.org
Our global team of local and international advisors works with local partners to equip communities, businesses and organisations with the tools, knowledge and connections they need to increase their incomes and gain access to basic services – empowering them to break the cycle of poverty and guide their own development. SNV Zambia works together with local partners in three sectors: Water and Sanitation (WASH), Renewable Energy and Agriculture to find local solutions to global challenges. For more information on our works in Zambia, please visit our website https://snv.org/country/zambiaf
SNV Zambia seeks a talented, entrepreneurial, result-oriented and proven professional who will work with the country team in Zambia to further build on SNV’s high quality WASH programme. The WASH Sector Leader is responsible for the overall quality of WASH program content, business development / resource mobilization, steering the quality of technical advisory services, and overall management of the SNV WASH programmes for SNV in Zambia. The WASH Sector Leader will enhance the quality and visibility of our WASH programs and position SNV within the national WASH sector. The WASH Sector Leader is also managing directly as Project Manager the Urban Sanitation and Hygiene. The WASH Sector Leader reports directly to the Country Director and collaborates closely with the WASH global sector team. For more information on our works in Zambia, please visit our website https://snv.org/country/zambia
- Strategic Leadership: develop country level WASH strategy aligned to corporate WASH frameworks;
- Advisory Services: lead complex assignments, set benchmarks for results, and monitor quality of advisory services of the WASH sector team;
- Programme Management: deliver effective development results, planning and monitoring, financial management, and donor reporting;
- Business Development: develop proposals and secure funding for innovative WASH programmes;
- People Management: lead, manage, and coach the team of SNV advisors and consultants;
- Monitoring & Evaluation: ensure uniform understanding and practice in planning, reporting, monitoring, and evaluation of WASH programs in line with SNV’s internal frameworks;
- Representation & Promotion: develop and maintain relationships with stakeholders to improve SNV market position and actively participate in external and internal networks.
- The WASH Sector Leader is member of the Country Management Team
- Relevant advanced academic qualification in WASH or related field;
- 7+ years of relevant experience in WASH service delivery (specifically in sanitation – urban and rural) including at least 5 years in a management role, preferably in ES Africa with an understanding of the Zambia context;
- Knowledge of good governance practices, and approaches dealing with gender-sensitive, social inclusion and empowerment principles;
- Knowledge and experience with market-based approaches in WASH, and sanitation as a business;
- Proven track record in resource mobilization; demonstrated programme design, proposal writing, business development, and international donor relationship management;
- Up to date knowledge and experience with community-led approaches to sanitation, and pro-poor sector development in WASH;
- Proven experience with project planning, monitoring, evaluation, reporting and financial management;
- Entrepreneurial skills and attitude, as well as commitment to work for clients and in remote areas;
- Established WASH networks and strong relationship management skills;
- A self-motivated achiever with excellent intercultural leadership, teamwork, coaching, communication, networking and organizational skills.
Contract Type: International
Contract Duration: 2 year
Expected Start Date: 1 October, 2020
Information Duty Station: Lusaka, Zambia
Working at SNV
SNV offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package. We offer a challenging work environment, opportunities to lead and innovate, and a commitment to growing your skills in a fulfilling and diverse working environment. Our staff benefit from, and contribute to, an internal global network of WASH experts. For more information, please visit our website: www.snv.org
How to Apply
If you believe that your credentials meet the outlined profile, we invite you to apply by uploading your CV and letter of motivation before/on 5 June 2020
Please submit your application via SmartRecruiters. All information will be in the strictest confidence. We will revert to you as soon as feasible when we have reviewed your application.
We will require that you provide us with full details of three people who are willing to act as a referee. We will not contact these referees without your explicit permission.
Should SNV wish to proceed with your application, two interviews with the Selection Committee will take place.