Water Quality Scientist
Watershed Consulting is seeking a full-time Water Quality Scientist for our busy Burlington, Vermont office. The Water Quality Scientist will assist with watershed initiatives related to stormwater planning, modeling, design, and permitting. This position will support our water quality services consulting for municipal, state and federal governmental agencies and private/non-profit sector clients.
- Manage and perform fieldwork to support water quality research, soil characterization and testing, road drainage inventories, stormwater retrofit planning, and water quality monitoring and compliance
- Provide support for stormwater master planning studies in rural, urban, agricultural, and forestland settings to prioritize watershed improvement projects at the site, municipal, and regional scale
- Provide support for preparation of grant applications and responses to request for proposals for water quality initiatives
- Assist with stormwater modeling studies under the supervision of senior hydrologist
- Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Science, Civil/Environmental Engineering, Physical Geography, Geographic Information Systems, or related field from an accredited institution AND 2+ years professional experience within water resources field or a related field OR Master’s Degree in Environmental Science, Civil/Environmental Engineering, Physical Geography, Geographic Information Systems, or related field.
- Understanding of general concepts related to hydrology, hydraulics, soils, water quality, water resources planning, and environmental statistics
- Familiarity with Vermont stormwater regulatory framework
- Excellent computing skills including word processing, spreadsheet, and geographic information systems
- 1-3 years field experience in environmental monitoring and assessment
- Ability to work in varying environmental conditions in the field
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Strong critical thinking, reasoning, and problem solving ability
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills
We offer a competitive salary based on qualifications and experience and excellent benefits and opportunities for professional development. Our highly desirable office location is located in Burlington, VT in the South End Arts District, within walking distance to Lake Champlain, the Burlington Bike Path, and Oakledge Park.
Job Type: Full-time
- Bachelor’s (Required)
- Temporarily due to COVID-19