Rare is a fast-growing international conservation organization whose mission is to inspire change so people and nature thrive. Rare advances this mission through innovative grassroots behavior change strategies that boost the adoption of proven environmental solutions. Rare’s culture is results-oriented and entrepreneurial. We are working toward ambitious goals in creating measurable social and environmental impacts.
Reporting to the Director, Policy, the Senior Manager, Policy will implement all policy’s strategic components to scale the Managed Access plus Reserves (MA+R) in Indonesia. He/she will provide supports in maintaining and moving relationships with key and identified national government agencies and other stakeholders to secure their buy-in for replication and expansion of MA+R.
This is a full-time position with an initial contract of 2- years with possible extension. This position is based in Bogor, Indonesia and will require approximately 40% travel.
- The Manager, Government Initiatives will exercise independent judgment regarding the following areas of significance
- Implement strategy for engagement with relevant national and provincial agencies developed by Policy Director and or other Rare Leadership
The Senior Manager will identify opportunities to initiate, maintain and bring to the higher level of concrete partnership engagements with these agencies and be the primary contact person.
- Track, review, and analyze important national and regional policies in relation to fisheries and coastal resources, climate change, and biodiversity, especially for the scale of MA+R in the country
- Harmonize all relevant policy work on small-scale fishery management in the international, local, and national levels
Help establish and communicate the link between Rare’s local work to national and international relevance
- Produce policy briefs for Rare’s internal consumption while providing inputs to Rare’s communication plans
- Help represent Rare Indonesia program in key policy and development dialogues/forums as useful to advance program priorities and messaging. This includes primarily interacting with Indonesia government representatives, multilateral organizations, bilateral government donors, NGO partners, foundation staff, industry leaders and high net worth individuals
- Coordinate and make sure that internal stakeholders understand the desired outcome and their role and relevant work stream in accomplishing the goals for the relationships and of the government initiatives
- Provide necessary policy-related reports, updates and lessons learned to Rare in Indonesia and relevant teams in other countries
- Identify and develop opportunities to progress Rare’s relationship with national government agencies and with other relevant stakeholders, Rare’s reputation, and scale objective
- Internal – This position reports to the Director, Policy He/she will interact with various teams involved in the implementation of various Policy Works.
- External – This position represents Rare – specifically the Indonesia program – in external meetings and key meetings and forums in order to build relationships between Rare and key stakeholders, advance strategic priorities and make sure that the government initiatives are well executed. This includes proactive and coordinated engagement with relevant Indonesia government representatives, NGO representatives, academe and other stakeholders.
- A Master degree (preferably in in Public Policy, Marine and Fishery Science, Environmental Science, Public Administration) with more than 10+ years of government engagement and policy experience, and have worked closely with relevant national government agencies
- Familiarity with the global and national policies and processes of relevant government agencies will be an advantage
- Knowledge global, regional and local issues on climate change, marine and fisheries, and biodiversity
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills and the ability to effectively communicate across all levels within a culturally diverse organization
- Excellent planning, organization, project management and people management skills
- Excellent judgment and creative problem solving skills including negotiation and conflict resolution skills
- Demonstrated ability to understand and communicate complex program content
- Strong management skills
- the maturity, integrity and experience to influence and engage senior leaders, partners and peers;
- Energetic, flexible, collaborative, and proactive; a team leader who can positively and productively impact both strategic and tactical initiatives
- A commitment to Rare’s mission and values, i.e. a passion for environmental conservation and social wellbeing in the developing world
- Ability to thrive in cross-functional team environments to build relationships across geographical distances, cultural communities, and up and down the organizational structure
- Willingness to participate in national/international travel as needed
- Written and spoken fluency in English and Bahasa Indonesia is required