Senior Hydrology Researcher
The Sr. Hydrology Researcher will provide an in-depth comprehensive expertise of hydrometerology, including meteorology, hydrologic models, snow processes, streamflow forecasting and verification. The position will lead the analysis and coordination of hydrology research and develop and improve hydrologic models at CW3E. Conducts extensive numeric modeling analysis and interpretation of observations; refining experimental design as necessary.
The Sr. Hydrology Researcher will provide feedback to management for the strategic growth of the hydrology team, computing platforms and resources. In addition, the Researcher will support on-going efforts to improve data management procedures, and optimization of models and programs on current servers.
The Sr. Hydrology Researcher will contribute significant original contributions and lead scientific journal publications. Responsible for writing proposals to generate funding to support the center's hydrological research. Will act as a team lead. Applies extensive knowledge as a research professional with an in-depth understanding of numerical, statistical, and/or other analysis techniques designed to support research projects of broad scope and complexity.
- Masters or Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
- In-depth knowledge of research function. This includes in depth knowledge of hydrometerology, including meteorology, hydrologic models, snow processes, streamflow forecasting and verification.
- Advanced skills associated with statistical analysis, database management and systems programming.
- Advanced skills in analysis and consultation.
- Advanced ability to communicate complex information in a clear and concise manner both verbally and in writing. Able to communicate to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Advanced project management skills. Ability to lead and influence within and external to project team. Experience mentoring early career scientists.
- Advanced research skills at a level to evaluate alternate solutions and develop recommendations.
- Advanced ability to think creatively to recommend action steps or strategize solutions relative to research.
- In-depth knowledge of hydrology and surface layer processes, with experience with both modeling and observing platforms.
- Extensive experience in handling, analyzing, and processing large data sets coming from different sources in a variety of formats
- Advance knowledge of programming languages as Fortran, C, C++, Python, R, Matlab, NCL, etc.
- Experience with testing and developing hydrologic models.
- Familiarity with high performance computing architectures.
- Proven ability to write proposals to generate funding to support the center's hydrological research.
- Must be willing and able to travel.