The main aim of the FAO country offices, which are headed by an FAO Representative, is to assist governments to develop policies, programmes and projects to achieve food security and to reduce hunger and malnutrition, to help develop the agricultural, fisheries and forestry sectors, and to use their environmental and natural resources in a sustainable manner. FAO’s mission is to work with the Government of the Islamic Republic of Iran to help build a food-secure country, free of hunger and malnutrition, where food and agriculture contribute to improving the living standards of all, especially the poorest, in an economically, socially and environmentally sustainable manner. The Organization’s activities in Iran are fully integrated with the national priorities outlined in the national development plan and strategies of the country.
The FAO Representation in Iran is responsible for leading the administration and coordination of the implementation of the programme/project with the technical and operational support of the FAO-RNE and HQ. The arrangements with respect to provision of administrative and operational support to the project at the various stages of project implementation, specifying responsibilities and reporting lines are stipulated in the project document.
FAO will implement the programme/project “GCP/IRA/066/JPN – Integrated Programme for Sustainable Water Resources Management in the Urmia Lake Basin”, funded by the Government of Japan. The overall goal of the project is to contribute to more sustainable, productive and climate change resilient agricultural and rural systems with a positive impact on the environment in general and on the water balance (inflow-outflow) of the Urmia Lake.
The Project Officer reports to the Chief Technical Adviser and will work under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative maintaining close coordination/consultation with the other project staff and partners.
Socio-economic and entrepreneurial activities in the agricultural sector and sub-sectors (farm communities level);
Provision of project/programme management and implementation services to the project.
• Provide assistance to the technical leadership on the development and implementation of assigned programme/project;
• Assist with the monitoring and evaluation of the programme/project operations;
• Support the budgetary management and monitoring of the budget as well as the approved field expenditures and draft financial reports and statements;
• Undertake quality control and monitoring of letters of agreement with programme/project implementing partners;
• Participate in the planning, review and consolidation of the overall and country-based budget plans, monitor expenditures and, where necessary, identify corrective measures to overcome operational constraints;
• Assist with the organization of Steering Committee sessions with various stakeholders;
• Support in maintaining detailed records of budget estimates, obligations and available balances;
• Monitor expenditures and assist with the preparation of budget revisions as required and on the basis of the changes;
• Assist in updating the Field Programme Management Information System (FPMIS) inputs, and forecasting estimates and ensure appropriate updating of the system;
• Assist with the delivery of FAO project operation training to the national counterparts to enhance project implementation at the offices involved in the implementation of programme/project;
• Participate in activities; structures training workshops, seminars, makes presentations on assigned topics/activities;
• Leads field missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties;
• Assists the Chief Technical Advisor for the preparation of progress reports and the end of project report and submits an end of assignment report at the end of his term;
• Perform other related duties as required.
• Advanced university degree in agricultural economics, development economics, rural sociology, food security, nutrition, sustainable agriculture (including livestock, forestry and fisheries), social sciences or related fields;
• Three years of relevant experience in technical cooperation related activities, policy advice and analysis relating to food and nutrition security, agriculture and rural development, monitoring and evaluation of policies and programmes;
• Working knowledge of English
- Results Focus
- Team Work
- Building effective relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable
- Relevance and extent of experience in working with inter-governmental bodies
- Relevance and extent of experience in technical cooperation-related activities, policy advice and analysis relating to food and nutrition security, agriculture and rural development, monitoring and evaluation of policies and programmes.