The closing date for applications is the 31st May 2020.
Interviews will be held on Thursday 11th and Friday 12th June 2020.
We are the International Institute for Environment and Development (IIED), an independent research organisation that aims to deliver positive change on a global scale.
Our Shaping Sustainable Markets Group works to ensure that markets – big and small – are fair and enable poor people and nature to thrive. Our blue economy research programme reviews the use of innovative economic solutions to address the challenges facing the fisheries sector and support healthy marine and coastal ecosystems and resilient communities.
We want to enhance understanding, not only of the contributions that marine resources make to economic growth and the livelihoods of the millions who depend on them, but also the potential impact of climate change on these resources and the implications for food security.
We are now looking for a Principal Researcher to join our Shaping Sustainable Markets Group and lead our work on the ocean and blue economy.
– Salary of £57,055 – £62,872 per annum (up to £70,999 for exceptional candidates)
– Benefits package
– Fast-paced and engaging work environment
– Take on an important role that has the potential to make a lasting difference
If you are a high calibre researcher, this is an incredible opportunity to build on our world-leading action research which gives a voice to the world’s most vulnerable.
Our previous research has supported ground-breaking work on incentives-based fisheries management and a programme to support the Least Developed Countries to take part in negotiations to establish a framework to govern the High Seas.
You will have the opportunity to develop new areas of work that promote the transition towards an inclusive blue economy at national, regional and global levels.
As the Principal Researcher, you will lead and develop our blue economy work, including research, advocacy, policy advice, capacity building and influencing.
Overseeing research and project teams, you will direct the design, development and implementation of the research programme on an inclusive blue economy.
Additionally, you will:
– Mentor, coach and supervise Researchers
– Oversee the creation and management of budgets
– Encourage collaboration with partners worldwide to strengthen mutual learning, capacities and networking
– Publish results of your research in a variety of outlets to sustain and enhance our reputation
To join us as a Principal Researcher, you will need:
– Wide-ranging research experience and a highly regarded publication record
– A track record of securing funding for large projects (project value of £1 million and above) from a wide range of donors
– Extensive experience of co-ordinating and sustaining diverse teams or collaborative networks, including from a distance
– A PhD and evidence of extensive research expertise and experience in environment and development
– Excellent management skills with projects, people, budgets and M&E
– First-class technical, analytical and conceptual skills
– Knowledge of MS Office, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint, and other statistical packages such as SPSS and STATA
Other organisations may call this role Lead Researcher, Research Programme Manager, Senior Environment and Development Researcher, Lead Environment Researcher, or Research Project Manager.
Webrecruit and IIED are equal opportunities employers, value diversity and are strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all employees and all applicants for employment.
So, if you are seeking your next challenge as a Principal Researcher, please apply via the button shown. This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.