OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
The incumbent will work under the overall supervision of the Head of Science Unit at UNESCO Regional Office for Southern Africa, and under the direct supervision of the Programme Specialist responsible for implementing Phase 3 of the project “Governance of Groundwater Resources in Transboundary Aquifers (GGRETA)” in Africa. The Project operates in three pilot transboundary aquifers representatives of different natural and socio-economic settings and located in regions of potential conflicts over water among countries, among uses, and among users.
The main objective of GGRETA Project Phase 3 is to strengthen regional stability, cooperation and peace through the establishment of cooperative frameworks for transboundary groundwater governance in River Basin Organizations (RBOs), Regional Commissions (RCs) and selected aquifers systems in Africa, Central America and Central Asia. The project will build on the results achieved by the previous two phases of the GGRETA project, i.e. Phase 1 (2013-2015) and Phase 2 (2016-2019) implemented by the UNESCO International Hydrological Programme (IHP) and funded by the Swiss Agency of Development and Cooperation (SDC). This new phase approach is addressing the sustainability challenges related to transboundary groundwater resources that many river basins are facing; which is innovative as it might open new development perspectives and present attractive opportunities for coping with the looming threats of climate variability and change, with the need for balancing surface water and groundwater water uses, preventing the risks of large scale groundwater quality degradation and contribute to the achievement of the SDG 6 of the Agenda 2030.
In this context, the Project Coordinator shall perform the following tasks:
- Act as coordinating officer for the GGRETA Phase 3 project and provide technical assistance to implement project activities in the Africa region;
- Coordinate with the GGRETA focal points in different countries, national and international experts, UNESCO field offices to ensure smooth implementation of the project;
- Help organize project related events such as regional training workshops and conferences;
- Creating and maintaining communications and data repository for the project;
- Support general monitoring and reporting on the activities through SISTER, update the project database and draft reports in liaison with colleagues at Headquarters and project partners;
- Support the preparations for required missions, meetings and other consultations with project partners, including preparation of concept notes, briefs and other materials as necessary.
- Undertake project related missions
Support further work by UNESCO Science Sector and contribute as team member to the activities of the section
COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial)
Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement (C)
Planning and organizing (C)
Results focus (C)
- Advanced university degree (Master’s or equivalent) in the field of natural sciences, hydrology or earth sciences.
- At least 5 years of relevant experience;
- Excellent knowledge of English (oral and written)
- Extensive knowledge, and high level of technical writing skills
- Ability to multi task, prioritize and deliver to deadline, as well as work under pressure;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, tact and diplomacy;
- Excellent networking and high level representational and partnership building skills, involving a wide range of partners
- Strong strategic and analytical skills;
- Excellent communication skills
SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.
The duration of the contract is one (1) year.