We are looking for a talented individual to work with us on the City Environment Improvement Project on components involving wastewater, solid waste and Green Cities management in Pakse. The individual will support in implementation of following components of the project in Pakse: (1) development of 4 DEWATS and a fecal sludge treatment plant, (2) preparation of the wastewater strategy for the city and (3) preparation of a green cities action plan.
The GGGI Lao PDR country office is implementing a KOICA funded project on City Environment Improvement in Laos covering two cities – Vientiane and Pakse. This position is for supporting the operations of the project in the city of Pakse.
The assignment will include the following but not limited to:
- Support the project team in implementation of the project through data collection, stakeholder engagement, data analysis, field visits, technical options study, background research, co-ordination etc.;
- Support in development of a wastewater management strategy for Pakse city;
- Support in feasibility study of DEWATs project in Pakse;
- Support in preparation of green cities action plan for Pakse city;
- Support in preparation of reports, presentations etc. in Lao and English to document various activities under the project;
- Engaging with various stakeholders and government officials associated with the projects to support in the day to day activities on project monitoring, communications, co-ordination etc.;
- Supporting the team in preparation of communications with stakeholders; supporting coordination of meetings, organizing workshops / trainings / site visits, meeting briefs and other day to day operational activities of the office;
- Preparing a report of tasks completed during the internship.
To be eligible for an internship, candidates must:
- Be enrolled in a Bachelor’s (final year), Master’s or PhD program prior to internship assignment, or a recent graduate within the last 24 months.
- Be engaged or recently engaged in academic study in a field directly related to the Institute’s work
- Possess an excellent command of English.
- Enrolled in / recent graduate in civil engineering, urban planning, environmental sciences and related fields.
- Experience/education on water and wastewater sector will be preferred.
- The candidate must have excellent command on spoken and written English and Lao.
- Applications submitted after the deadline will not be considered.
- GGGI evaluates applications based on: eligibility requirements, relevance of academic study and work experience (if any); and the level of interest and motivation to contribute to development work.
- Due to high volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Duration: The internship program is for at least three months and up to six months. Once selected, interns must begin your internship either prior to or within 12 months of graduation.
Stipend: GGGI interns receive a monthly stipend of USD$500 per month. All costs related to travel, insurance, accommodation, and living expenses must be borne by either the interns or their sponsoring institutions.
Visa: GGGI will provide a supporting letter for visa. Interns will be responsible for obtaining and financing the necessary visas.
Travel: Intern will arrange and finance their travel to the internship location.
Medical Insurance: Interns must present proof of valid medical insurance to GGGI upon returning the signed internship contract.
Confidentiality: Interns must keep confidential any and all unpublished information obtained during the course of the internship and may not publish any documents based on such information.
Academic Credit: Interns may get academic credit from their institution of higher education for the internship. Interns need to check with their university to confirm their academic credit policy for internships.
Working Hours: interns are expected to work during normal working hours. Leave should be pre-approved by the Intern Manager, and the latter should inform the Office of HR accordingly.
Learning Outcomes: before completion of the internship, Intern Managers are expected to review the learning outcomes with the intern.
Certificate: provided upon successful completion of the internship, upon request.