Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an independent medical humanitarian organisation that provides assistance to people worldwide, regardless of their background, religion or political convictions. Above all, we aim to save lives and to offer medical care to victims of disasters, wars and epidemics. Working together with local staff, we give direct support to the population. MSF also appeals to those in power, including governments and international organisations, and speaks out about the abuses we encounter in the course of our work.
MSF Operational Centre Amsterdam (OCA) currently operates medical humanitarian interventions in 25 countries. On a yearly basis MSF-OCA deploys over 1000 international staff and employs approximately 8000 national staff. At headquarters in Amsterdam, approximately 170 employees offer their support to the projects.
The Emergency Support Department (ESD) is part of the Operations Department and plays a fundamental role in responding to medical and humanitarian emergencies: The ESD conducts exploratory and assessment missions; initiates and manages large scale emergency interventions; supports emergency interventions managed by regular desks; provides support to the organisation and existing missions in promoting and guarding emergency response capacity; and supports the management of operations in highly insecure environments. The ESD consists of a headquarter-based Emergency Desk (7 permanent staff) and an Emergency Team for deployment in the field (23 positions).
The E-team is looking for a new member with a
Water and Sanitation specialist profile
PLACE WITHIN THE ORGANISATION
- Overall: reports to the Head of Emergency Support Department in Amsterdam.
- During field assignments the reporting line maybe under the management of the country management team (CMT) or under the direct management of the emergency desk, depending on the situation.
- There is a functional reporting line to the WatSan Advisor at HQ level.
To provide emergency response capacity for the field. This most often consists of providing support within existing missions/projects, to either support in key positions or respond to emergencies within those missions.
DESCRIPTION OF THE JOB
- You carry out assessments, focusing on the Public Health needs of populations (during outbreaks, natural disasters and population displacements) and/or focusing on specific WatSan needs in health structures
- You prepare, plan, implement, monitor and report on Emergency Water, Hygiene, Vector Control and Sanitation interventions
- You contribute to the development of an intervention strategy in emergency project or country responses
- You carry out exploratory missions
- You function as the WatSan Responsible (Team Member, Team Leader) at capital or project level in emergency projects or existing projects
- You work as a specialist member of a team within an existing project or within a new project,
- You contribute to the development and implementation of training programs for emergency and non-emergency staff, logistical, medical or WatSan
- You contribute to the further development of WatSan kits and other equipment innovations for field use
- You contribute to evaluations/reviews carried out of emergency intervention projects
- At least 18 months WatSan field experience with one of the MSF sections in at least three different projects, of which at least one was an emergency project or project in a high insecurity context (according to the standards of MSF-OCA)
- Knowledge of Emergency Public Health, Rapid Water and Hygiene Assessment, and MSF standard WatSan protocols
- A demonstrable understanding of the need to integrate Medical and Public Health/WatSan activities
- Good, hands-on experience of deploying and using MSF WatSan kits in the field
- Knowledge of surface water treatment, groundwater, water quality and emergency water trucking, and water distribution systems
- Knowledge of sanitation infrastructure and wastewater management and treatment systems
- Good knowledge of the necessary Infection, Prevention and Control (IPC) measures required in emergency medical facilities such as cholera treatment centres or surgical facilities
- Proven organizational skills, diplomatic skills and experience with the representation of MSF
- Ability to prioritise work, manage teams and communicate clearly decisions
- Have a “can do mentality” with the capacity to motivate a team into action and to achieve pre-defined objectives
- A flexible and solution oriented mentality and the ability to be decisive in chaotic circumstances
- Knowledge of standard software within MSF-OCA (Word/Excel/Outlook)
- Willingness to travel to any required area, frequently at short notice
- Fluent in English
- French and/or Arabic speaking
- Knowledge and experience using OCA standard data tools
- Knowledge of GiS, use of GPS, water network modelling/design software and design software, e.g. AutoCAD or equivalent
- Knowledge of borehole drilling and piped distribution design/construction
- Knowledge of chemical and biological wastewater treatment technologies
- Good knowledge of the necessary Infection, Prevention and Control (IPC) measures in Ebola, Cholera, COVID-19 and other infections disease contexts.
- Infrastructure construction and supervising construction projects
- Experience with NFI distributions
- Experience with an emergency response to at least one of the following: disease outbreak, mass population displacement, or natural disaster
- Experience in high security and middle income contexts
- Relevant post graduate training in a Water, Hygiene or Sanitation related discipline
- A fulltime appointment for 1 year with a potential option to renew;
- Salary is the same as the regular WatSan activity manager position according to the field function grid. It thus depends on three main factors: domicile, level of responsibility and experience on the job. Candidate’s domicile determines which MSF section will act as employer;
- 45 holidays per year;
- Completion bonus of 1.5 month of extra salary after completion of every 12 months commitment
- Prioritisation for trainings in MSF (external trainings additionally and considered)
- A challenging position within the emergency desk/team that seeks to support and grow its team members with direct one-to-one coaching support, trainings and keeping updated with developments and discussions from within the organization.
FURTHER INFORMATION AND APPLICATION
Additional information about the vacancy can be requested from
Sherwan Qasem, operations support officer (for general E-team questions):
Nick Schreiner, WatSan advisor (for WatSan related questions)
If you recognise yourself in the profile, please apply directly via our website by uploading your CV and motivation letter in one document.
The deadline for application is 7 June 2020 and the selection will be done by means of one or two interviews in the week of 8 June.